First Step

jlynn1025
on 4/23/13 1:27 am

I am attending an informational meeting at Sacred Heart Hospital in PA tonight.  I'm not good in big groups and am very nervous to attend.  Can anyone tell me what their experience was like?

djj1960
on 4/23/13 3:46 am - IN

They are very informal... .  You can stand at the back of the room or leave at any time...  no one is monitoring you.  In my meeting it was the actual surgeon doing the talking... he talks about the surgery, cost and what to expect before, during and after.  And at the end they took our drivers license and insurance card, made a copy, signed a release form and got the ball rolling with the insurance carrier.  After approval (about 2 weeks) they call and make your first appt.

jlynn1025
on 4/23/13 4:30 am

Thank you for the info.  I am excited to get as much information as possible, but dread walking into a large group session by myself.  I am very anxious to get the ball rolling!

Calking
on 4/23/13 4:44 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Yep.  I agree with your first response.  Very informal.  I went to two of these.  One locally and one with the surgeon I ended up having surgery with.  In both cases picture about 25 people in folding chairs.  You sit wherever you want.  In both cases I had one person come and talk about the insurance ins and outs.  It seems like there was another person that spoke about the administrative aspects of the surgery.  The surgeon then comes out and gives you an overview of bariatric surgery and makes comparisons between the lap band, VSG, and RNY.  The three most known.  I think there was also a very brief mention of DS.  

You are given the opportunity to ask questions during as well as after the speakers.  At that point you can talk with someone about what your next steps are whether in terms of insurance or signing up for an appointment to visit with your surgeon for an initial assessment/appointment.  

During the first of my meetings I spoke with the surgeon after and asked about Diabetes II.  During the speech he mentioned that with the RNY there were some immediate results with regards to Diabetes II and it going into remission in the majority of cases.  I was asking about the results with VSG and was told to expect similar results.  No guarantees but a good chance of going into remission.

Then I spoke with another person about self pay.  Locally it was crazy expensive ... $26,000.  So I found that going 3 hours away I could do it for $11,900.  Quite the difference.  There was even an Amtrak round trip ticket for $50.  I didn't even have to worry about driving that 3 hours.

Anyway, nothing to worry about.  There are a lot of people that show up and best of all these are all people that are basically in the same place as you.  People that may be skeptical that this will work for them.  People that want to learn more.  People that have the same weight issues that you have.  These are people going through the same things that you are.  You are the same as everybody else there.  You will not stick out in this group as you might in other groups.  

Most importantly you need to do this.  It may be uncomfortable to you but remember that it is the first step in a new and healthier you.  Go there with your head held high that you are finally doing something to fix your health issues and excited about finding this new life.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

jlynn1025
on 4/23/13 5:46 am

I have diabetes as well.  Did the VSG put yours in remission?

happyteacher
on 4/23/13 7:46 am

I was diabetic, and in remission.  I do have a little issue with hypoglycemia that is easily managed by diet.  

On a side note, nobody there will know you are nervous.  You will find that there will be some low key chatting here and there, but it is perfectly acceptable to sit quietly.  You will blend in no problem, and you will be very glad you went when you are done.  Take a friend if you can.  Take a book to read in case there is a little wait before it starts- something to do that is socially acceptable.

I felt like this going into my first support meeting.  I had never attended one before and even with my husband there I was a little amped up.  It turned out to be no big deal- and that is usually how it works for me.  Losing the weight though helped tremendously with be self-conscious too.   

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/13 8:18 am

See if they have a webinar. That's how I am doing my informational session on May 2nd. I am very shy, so this was the best option for me.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views