Calling all VSG weight gainers...How are you doing?

dot4you
on 5/12/13 11:24 pm - CA

I posted last week about being 5 1/2 yrs out and gaining weight (20lbs). I thought I was alone...nope, there are a few of us out there.

How are you doing today? What's your plan for today? How are you beating back the beast? Exercise? distraction? Writing your food in a journal? (just started that)

I'm very busy today and plan on eating dense protein in the form of chicken. I also make low-fat egg salad & if I'm craving something sweet I have 1/2 cup of greek- yogurt w/ 1/2 cup cottage cheese. OR diet hot coco w/ chocolate protein (low carb)

I will walk my dogs & getting new carpet so have to empty a room then put it back together (good work-out, i hope) will also do 3 miles on my treadmill.

I plan to focus & refocus today even if I have to take this minute by minute. I've been on low carbs since Thursday & they are calling me. I'm down 4 lbs (thank you God) & I want/need that scale to continue to go down.

I'd love to hear how you're focusing your day? If you'd care to share.

Thanks Everyone!! Wishing you the best of health &  we can do this!!

Ms Shell
on 5/13/13 1:06 am - Hawthorne, CA

Why you calling me out like that...smh...NEVER EVER EVER EVER think you are alone.  People regain weight with WLS ALL the time.  It happens.  Old habits happen.  Yada yada

As for me.  My lowest was MY goal of 195.  I regained to 216 and maintained that for 2 years...then BAM I was 224 and had had enough.  By the end of 2013 I will be to my NEW goal of 180, I'm currently 212.  Taking in one day, one meal at a time.

I have my meals planned for Mon-Thurs and will NOT deviate.  There is no reason to.  I post a daily Whatcha eating thread, feel free to post on it =)

I have my exercise scheduled for the week since I have a Half Marathon in 20 days I WILL not DEVIATE.  I need to get 20 miles in this week and I WILL.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

dot4you
on 5/13/13 1:21 am - CA

Wow a 1/2 marathon! That's so great! I keep talking about doing a 5K.

I love your determination to reach your goal and you've got a plan.

I have seen your "What ya eating" posts. Great idea. I've posted a couple of times to them but far & between. I will work on that.

I was on here the other day & people were pouring out their hearts about their struggles. It really helped me to know I wasn't alone.

When I first got my VSG the first 3 or so yrs were a breeze...honeymoon is OVER. I played around & the weight is creeping back like a bad rash. Now there is no more playing.

I'm so grateful to my tool but I have to do the leg work & stay focused.

Thanks for posting! I trully needed to hear from someone that understands.

Ms Shell
on 5/13/13 1:58 am - Hawthorne, CA

I saw your post...good luck on getting the regain off =)

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

snowbaby
on 5/13/13 10:50 am - Durango, CO

Call me out...someone's got to!!! :-)  I was up 25 but as of one week ago I am back and in the game 100%! I have lost 6 lbs so far and feeling good about it. I am back to checking in here as much as possible, tracking my food on the 'lose it' app, walking, keeping "safe snacks" around for boredom/stress eating, and making sure I get a good night's sleep each night. My "safe snacks" are cucumber slices marinated in red wine vinegar, salt and a little stevia - I tell myself I'm eating chips and can eat as much as I want. Obvi I can't eat that many though! haha! For sweets - I make jello and mix it with plain greek yogurt and a little lite cool whip. I cut out protein bars (Quest, Atkins, etc.) because they are glorified candy bars and keep me from losing. I also ditched that "poor me/I'm a failure" attitude and replaced it with a "can do/just do it" attitude.

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

dot4you
on 5/13/13 1:01 pm - CA

You GO Sue!!! I love it! 

I'm not sure the title of this post was too popular...but hey the truth is the truth. Lying to myself is what got my weight up in the first place.

I agree with the protein bar deal...they just have too many cals. carbs & they just don't stick with me for long.

I have been craving the sweets somewhat...but so far not really that bad. I know I feel so much better with the sugar out of my system.

Love your spirit & "can do attitude"!

I plan on "just doing it" also!

KathyA999
on 5/13/13 11:15 am

I hit my rock-bottom weight at 132.  With all my reading on here and elsewhere about bounceback, I knew that would't last (although I briefly flirted with the idea of trying to get into the 120s, a pipe dream for sure, LOL!).  I slowly drifted up and maintained around 135-140, a pretty good place for me.  Then I got into eating snacks in place of meals.  Granted, non-carb snacks - relatively speaking - meaning peanut butter, cashews, sunflower seeds, etc.  Never let sugar or grains back in, but it didnt matter.  I went up to 147.  Yikes!  That had to stop!

So Thursday I went on Whole 30, a paleo-style 30-day plan that's fairly restricted.  (You can find it online, just google Whole 30.)  It's VERY WLS friendly, basically protein, veg, limited fruit, a fair amount of the "right" fat at each meal, limited nuts and seeds.  No dairy (I miss CHEESE!), no sweeteners of any kind whether artificial or natural, no grains, no legumes.  And I've lost 6 lbs in five days.  I think most of that is water weight - this plan is basically anti-inflammatory, and when you have inflammation in your body, you also retain extra water.  At least *I* seem to. But maybe a half-pound of actual weight loss?

In any case, I'm happy.  My goal is to get back to 137.  After the 30 days, you re-introduce certain things slowly to see how you feel when eating them, so the food plan isn't nearly as restrictive after a while. 

And of course, it gives me something to focus on, and keeps me busy cooking!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

dot4you
on 5/13/13 1:04 pm - CA

Yeah I know what you mean...I grazed my way up on the scale...snacking all the time and not eating enough protein. Actually to the point of being anemic. I was so low in iron (stopped taking my vitamins & eating right) I had to have iron infusions. My levels are up & my diet is back on track.

Your food plan sounds interesting & very healthy. Seems like a great way to eat. Very clean.

I find staying focused about WHY I want this & that seems to help.

Wishing you all the best & glad we're checking in...Thank you, it really helps :-)

brilynn79
on 5/13/13 11:38 am, edited 5/13/13 11:40 am

I am working on tracking my calories and not getting totally derailed by life.  Have been working on bumping up the protein, upping my produce intake, and trying to drink water.  I hate water- its a power struggle for me to drink it or dehydrate myself.  I bought some  Dasani water flavoring and it is helping some, I just love the bubbles.

I am feening really badly right now for a large Mc Donald's Coke.  My brain is fighting right now about whether I really want to lose these 6 lbs or get in the car and get a coke.  So far staying on track is winning.  On here for some motivation.

Telling myself to keep making progress and that all these good choices will add up and eventually become the habits that will make me successful.

dot4you
on 5/13/13 1:44 pm - CA

Sounds like you've got a plan  & life happens & then it gets interesting!

If you think about the cals from the coke & putting those to protein and healthy food...seems more filling longer.

It's hard sometimes...but we can do this!!

Wishing you the best!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views