Worry Nelly here...

south494
on 6/16/13 3:44 pm - NC

Here i am sitting seven days now post op. I love my Sleeve, but i know they say sip, sip, sip. I am afraid to drink too much liquid and mess the whole thing up. Can anyone tell me how much is too much to drink within an hours time? Smh. I also wanted to know if anyone else had a problem with a yeast infection from the antibiotics they were given at the time of surgery. I am sure i am not the only one but it really is a pain in the butt.

GreenisLove
on 6/16/13 4:01 pm - CA
VSG on 05/29/13

I believe my plan aims for 6oz of water an hour

Calking
on 6/16/13 5:25 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

You cannot drink too much in an hour.  In other words if you can drink down a liter and it doesn't bother you any, then go for it.  If you can drink more without it bothering you, then go for it.  

At about 10 days post op I actually had a bottle of water that I flavored with some thing or another and wasn't paying attention.  It was gone in 15 minutes without issue.  Of course I kind of freaked out that I could drink that much in a short time but I later found out that the liquids go right through the stomach and actually don't make a pit stop as does food for digestion.  That is the main reason you need to be careful about drinking too soon after eating.  You could wash the food out of your stomach and that would make it so you became hungry sooner than you would have had you let the food sit and digest as long as it can before it naturally leaves the stomach.

Being a man I cannot speak to the second part of your dilemma.  At this point I w

Imakitekat
on 6/16/13 5:43 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13
Hi
Frisco wrote a great piece on the pyloric valve not that long ago. You might have to go back a few pages or more but I think it will answer some of your questions. I haven't been sleeved yet but other then feeling really full I didn't think you could have too much water. I though****er was like a slider food and didn't stay in your stomach but went right through your pyloric valve. Don't quote me on that though, you should definitely consult your doctor and hopefully some of the vets can chime in. I have had many yeast infections and it makes sense that a round of antibiotics could cause it. Hope this helps a little. If you don't get many responses you may want to change the title of your post to your question, a lot of the vets will respond better if they know the subject matter, most of them don't have time to go in and read every post I don't think. Hope you feel better soon.
Smiles
Lisa
Keith L.
on 6/16/13 9:18 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
Fluids go right through your pyloric valve so even in a couple minutes anything you drink will pretty much go right through. You won't hurt your stomach by drinking so pretty much drink as much as you can handle without pain. That threshold will move farther and farther out over the next couple weeks.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

lucy2e
on 6/16/13 9:33 pm - Laurel, MD

It is doubtful post-op that you would be able to get too much in.  

"Water intoxication, also known as water poisoning or dilutional hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain functions that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside safe limits by over-hydration.

Under normal cir****tances, accidentally consuming too much water is exceptionally rare. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests in which individuals attempt to consume large amounts of water, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet huge amounts of fluid are still consumed.[1] Moreover, water cure, a method of torture in which the victim is forced to consume excessive amounts of water, can cause water intoxication."

You would have to be drinking gallons a day to reach that level - I don't think with the sip sip sip you are getting there!

If you are worried - make some powerade zero since it has electrolytes. 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

ravenbrown
on 6/16/13 10:45 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I didn't get a yeast infection, but I got a yeast rash on my inner thighs.  That was really wonderful while recovering from surgery.  I used anti-fungal cream bc I'm very familiar with yeast rashes as my toddler used to get them all the time on her bottom.  I'd call your doc if an over the counter thing isn't working.  It's really common to get yeast infections bc of antibiotics.  If your plan allows yogurt, I'd try eating some of that daily to help as well.  Yeast sucks :/

If you can drink, drink.  Get as much water in as possible to flush out your system.  I never had an any issues with fluids, and I was getting in at least 64 ounces as soon as I got home from the hospital.  You will not stretch your sleeve with fluids, but you want to take care not to chug or it could hurt or make you sick.  I made that mistake a couple of times in the middle of the night when I forgot I'd had surgery.  Not fun.

VSG on 06/12/13
I like the analogy I have read that discusses items being poured down a sink- thin liquids clear easily but as you get thicker/chunkier, they take longer to clear. So, when I feel something after drinking my liquids, I just picture a sink drain...

Weird, I know.

As for the yeast infection, can't help you there, but my abdomen is covered in an itchy, lacy rash that I suspect may be related to the use of chloraprep in the OR.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

stephanieplum
on 6/16/13 11:48 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

I can address the yeast infection ...I had thrush in my mouth and on my inner thighs, ect.  I needed a RX from the doctor.  Not fun.  I'm sorry you're going through that.  

south494
on 6/17/13 12:40 am - NC

Thanks everyone. I ended up going to the emergency room last night and they ended up giving me three presciptions. The dr really made me concerned one medicine he told me to take with a medium sized meal...lol and the other's just swallow...I did tell him that i was post op and on a liquid diet. He told me i was the first sleeve patient to ever come his way....which was interesting to me. but we got it sorted out. He went and read up on what the sleeve was...etc.  Thank you for putting my nerves to rest!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views