Is it possible

Donnab62
on 6/18/13 3:32 pm
VSG on 04/29/13

to get between 60 and 80 grams of protein without a supplement at 3 months post op? My dr wants me off supplements at 3 months. I have been trying to figure out what I could eat to get that much protein. I am still having problems eating more the 2 ozs at a time. If I eat 3 ozs of protein 3 times a day is that going to be enough? and then when do you eat veggies? I'm only 6 week post op but my mind is wandering tonight I can't seem to make it all come together. Help put my mind at ease please.

Donna

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/13 3:38 pm

Well, it is possible, but it's not easy.  Three ounces of chicken breast has 30 grams of protein in it.  Eat that twice a day and you are at 60 grams.  Add in a breakfast with another 20 grams of protein and you are there.  Eat the veggies between meals, as your snacks, not with your meals.  Substitute chicken breast for other lean, home made meats for variety and you have the basic diet.  I hope this helps. 

MacMadame
on 6/18/13 5:31 pm - Northern, CA

Psst. An ounce of chicken has 6-7 g of protein. So it's more like 18-21 grams for 3 oz. Nowhere hear 30 - I wish!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 6/19/13 2:01 am

Darn google!  As usual, Marie is right. 

frisco
on 6/18/13 3:53 pm

I wouldn't be afraid of the shakes....... it would be far worse to force feed yourself and over eat your capacity.

At 6 weeks I was at a half of a scrambled egg.

Keep your portions at 2oz. or less..... comfortably under your capacity. Supplement what your missing with a shake or add another 2oz. meal to get your numbers. I still do shakes sometimes at near 4 years out.... I actually enjoy them and it's a great clean protein boost in the morning.

Veggies...... I didn't start eating them till about 6 months out..... and than very limited during WL. Veggie only snacks instead of trying to eat them during my protein based meal. I still do veggie only snacks.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/13 4:02 pm

Listen to Frisco, he is completely right on this.  I wasn't eating three ounces for quite some time, maybe four or five months out.  I supplemented with protein shakes for the first three to four months.

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/18/13 4:05 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My capacity is still pretty small, so I still use shakes sometimes, but I can get it all in without them if I plan carefully and have small goals. I can get in 20 grams of protein worth of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt fairly easily. Meats are much harder - fish isn't bad.

What works for me is having a schedule. I know that by the time I'm done breakfast I have to have sent 20 grams of protein down my gullet. I don't think about the rest of the day - I just focus on that task. By far my easiest breakfast is either cottage cheese or 1,5 servings of Hi Lo cereal with milk. Happily I like both.

I plan lunch to contain 30 grams of protein, but I don't make myself eat it all at once. A mug of steamed milk makes a great morning snack, and contains 10g protein AND a cup of my fluids. 2 string cheese/coldcut rollups or bean soup and 1/2 slice of flax toast with cheese gives me the other 20g protein I need, so I'm free to have 2-3 baby carrots, 1/2 an apple or a handful of snap peas as an afternoon snack.

Supper and evening snack need to add up to another 25g protein, which is where I struggle a bit, since I can't handle much meat. If I cook chicken in a sauce I can manage enough for maybe 15g protein. My last 10g has to come from an evening snack of cheese or yogurt.

It IS doable, but you'll need to come up with a plan that fits you. Having a schedule will make the job much easier.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/18/13 5:01 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I am 8 months post op and really I can't do more than 50-60 tops without a daily protein shake. I have a fine capacity of my sleeve, can eat 2-3 oz of protein in a sitting but I can't do that much in a breast of chicken or turkey. only moister meats or fish. and i have a good variety in my diet, I privilege vegetables and indeed some fruit so I want that space for that. i do a daily protein coffee for breakfast and that really works for me with a 30 + grams of protein off the bat. Then the rest fits in. Otherwise I would be struggling nutritionally.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MacMadame
on 6/18/13 5:38 pm - Northern, CA

I'm 4.5 years out and I don't even try to get all my protein from solid food. My daily protein shake is my go-to breakfast. It takes all morning to drink but by the end of it, I have gotten in 16 oz of fluid and 42-46 g of protein -- a nice head start on my 80-100oz of fluid and > 100 g of protein.

Not only that but then I can have veggies and some fruit and other things without having to plan every damn bite out in order to squeeze in the maximum protein return for my caloric dollar. That would be way too stressful!

Now I do have higher than average protein and fluid needs but even if I didn't, I like knowing that I'm covered and every meal and every snack isn't totally crucial to getting my nutritional needs met. I don' t want to spend all my energy thinking about food. There's way too much life to be living! mail

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

A. Kondrlik
on 6/18/13 9:49 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I was able at 4 mos, but I  had to eat 5 to 6 mini meals very heavy on protein.  I have recently resumed the shakes as I have recommitted to getting my protein above 90. and my protein to average 50.  I don't think I could have don 60 gms at 3 months.

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views