Hello! New to forum!

sillymilly
on 6/22/13 10:49 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I've been lurking a lot in the past few weeks, but now that it's official I wanted to introduce myself.  Surgery was first suggested to me about a year ago by my PC, and I've gone back and forth from thinking it was the greatest idea ever to being scared to death.  I finally forced myself to go to an information session, and May 30th I had an intake session where I had appointments with a nutritionist, psychiatrist, and a nurse practitioner.  They also did blood work and submitted everything to my insurance for me.  Thursday I had a nice long appointment with my surgeon, and I'm now scheduled to be sleeved on 7/17!

I'm excited, but I'm worried that I'll have problems adjusting to the dietary restrictions.  I've always been the person who invites everyone over for a big dinner.  I suppose I can still cook, but I'll just have to make sure everyone takes the leftovers home with them.    

How does everyone respond to invitations to restaurants or dinner parties?  Do you bring something along that you can eat, or do you  find things to eat on the menu?

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

jenn227
on 6/22/13 11:03 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Hi!  If you love to cook, then you'll be great!  I still cook tons of food, but only eat small portions.  I like to recycle my proteins for lunches during the week with a bit of salad, too.  I just posted a pic of a huge amount of food I grilled for dinner tonight, lol! 

I usually eat out once a week with hubby, and it's really not hard to find food that I can eat (I love fish and veggies, so that's usually what I get). 

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your decision to have surgery.  It truly is an amazing procedure that can completely change your life.  It is still hard work, but it's hard work that you actually see results for...which is awesome!

Take care!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/13 11:14 am

Of course you will have issues adjusting to your new dietary restrictions, we all did and many still do.  It takes time to learn new thought patterns and to create new behavior models for ourselves. You are already thinking about different situations and realizing that you are going to have to learn to act differently.  That is great.  The truth is that most of us have to come up with many new strategies that work for us and help us succeed. In the beginning, restaurants and dinner parties were not huge on my agenda as they made it more difficult to stay on my plan.   That is to say, I still went out, after the first few months, but I stopped living my life around social occasions where food was being served.  You will also find, that within a short time, you will be able to find something that you can eat at almost any restaurant.  Sometimes, I would eat before social occasions and only drink when I was there.  Other times, I would bring a dish that I knew I could eat.  You find ways to make it work.  Just remember, your focus should be finding ways to stay compliant with your program, not minimizing social discomfort.  You and your health must come first.

Member Services
on 6/22/13 11:29 am - Irvine, CA

We are glad you have joined us!  You will get great advice and support here.  Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/13 12:25 pm - VA
Welcome.. I'm a newbie to.. Wish you the best
Sandy M.
on 6/22/13 10:18 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Welcome!  This board has been a godsend to me, and I hope it is for you too!  

To prepare for your dietary restrictions, I suggest joining MyFitnessPal NOW.  Start logging everything you eat today and drink today.  It really helped me to see in black and white what my pre-op diet looked like.  It's easy to convince yourself that you're eating healthy when you're really not.  

The mental part is the hardest!  After surgery I really felt like I was delusional in those old days!  

And remember - it takes about 30 days of doing something for it to become a habit.  I have found that to be true, even on the exercise front.  I walk 3.2 miles minimum every day, and when I don't, I feel like I'm missing something.  I still don't like it very much, but it is getting easier.  I'm 7 weeks out, and never thought I'd enjoy Greek yogurt, but I do (try Dannon Light and Fit Greek in any flavor - it's really good)!  Or soup (Campbell's Tuscan White Bean and Chicken - to die for)!

Use all support services offered you, and you'll be on the Loser's Bench in no time!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

pdtmd501
on 6/23/13 3:03 am

WELCOME and GOOD LUCK!!

SURGERY WITH DR. PLEATMAN--05/30/13       

HW:303    SW: 299   GW:  180

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views