what to expect at support groups?

jess252590
on 6/25/13 5:59 am - PA
VSG on 11/20/13

Hi I'm  jessica

I've checked these forums everyday for the past 6 months but this is my first time posting. I'm almost done with my checklist the surgeon  gave me, I just need to attend one of Penn's monthly support groups which is today. I plan on going but am a little nervous because I'm a shy person. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Is it like AA where I have to stand up and tell my story?? Info about me- I'm 20 and weigh 240.  

cappy11448
on 6/25/13 6:10 am

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to the forum. 

I suspect support groups vary quite a bit.  The one I attend, we start by going around and introducing ourselves and say where we are in the WLS process.  Then they usually open the discussion by asking new people if they have any questions for the vets in the group.  Then the discussion proceeds to whatever is of interest/concern for the group. 

Our group is very warm and welcoming.  People understand the many feelings that go with making this decision, and want to support each other.  I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

thinathart
on 6/25/13 6:24 am

The sessions I attended, we just said our names, which type of WLS we were having and where we were in the process.  I'm pretty shy too, and it was easy peasy.  People there are all in the same boat...all wanting a better, healthier life.  Best of luck to you!

Jackie T.
on 6/25/13 6:45 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

It really depends.  Some are great and welcoming and others are all about excuses for not losing weight and asking why they aren't losing weight when they are eating french fries.  The group I attend have set topics and you really don't get to ask questions that much.  We sometimes start out by going around the room and sharing what surgery we had and when.  I usually like the time before the meeting and after as that is when we get to visit.  I do wish our group did more sharing during the meeting as I think it would be more beneficial in supporting each other.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Judy_long_island
on 6/25/13 10:53 am - NY
VSG on 07/15/13

group I go to is pretty much the same, we all introduce ourselves and where we are in the weight loss process. Then the floor is open to the post ops then the pre ops get to ask questions. Love my group, everyone is warm and friendly and looking for others who understand what they are going through. I think a good support group is very important, keeps you accountable. If the first one you go to isn't for you, don't give up keep looking until you find one you are comfortable in. Good luck!

jess252590
on 6/25/13 12:44 pm - PA
VSG on 11/20/13

thanks  guys, your comments made me less anxious. I went and it wasn't that bad. They had veterans on stage that told their story then we got to ask questions. It was nice and informative I might just go there again. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views