Need suggestions

grannymedic1
on 6/26/13 10:49 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I have been having extra tight restriction the past few days. I attribute it to the fact that hubby's Alzheimers seems to be going downhill rapidly and scary things have happened making me tense. I find it much harder to get dense protein in amounts to be adequate. I get 3-4 bites in and either it is all I can handle or it ends up coming back at me. I don't want to pu**** but things are not working as they are. This is not my norm but I suspect that as things progress it may happen more frequently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sue

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

ParisGirl
on 6/26/13 10:58 am
VSG on 04/25/13
First, I'm wishing you well and hope your husband isn't suffering too badly. It's such a devastating disease. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Can you supplement with protein shakes to help you maintain your requirement? I hope you do find something that works for you. Please be sure to care for yourself and I'm glad you came here to ask for suggestions.

akr9911
on 6/26/13 10:58 am
VSG on 06/20/13

First of all, I'm so sorry your husband's disease is progressing so rapidly. In fact, I'm sorry that you and he are battling it at all. My father is dealing with another form of dementia. It's just so stressful for the family. You are smart to reach out for help and support; getting sick now won't help the situation at all.

Can you get anything in? Does anything work? I would suggest going back to basics, get a protein shake in or whatever works. Mix it up. I'm still very newly post-op and I'm on clear liquids (ugh) still. Even like an Ensure Clear would give you a boost.

I feel for you. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

HW 259 SW 251 CW 217 M1-20.5 M2 -7.5 M3 -4 M4 -2

grannymedic1
on 6/26/13 11:08 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

You are both right, I have neglected the protein shakes because I got tired of dealing with them but it is better that getting sick. I can eat very small amounts, as in about 1 oz. at a time but it is hard going. I also need to consider that my meal doesn't have to be in one sitting. At this point I am not in losing mode, have been maintaining my weight easily, so putting aside some of the rules for a bit isn't going to cause the world to end.

Hubby is 62 and was diagnosed just before Christmas. When he started the meds he made huge improvements and we were very encouraged but a month ago he started using a cane to help with balance and now he has to use it and we think a walker is coming with in two weeks. 2 weeks ago he was reading, now he cannot. The past 2 days he has had times of being barely coherent. I admit that it terrifies me even though I know my God is in control. Knowing and allowing are different things. He is scared by all of this too.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Jennifer L.
on 6/26/13 11:29 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I have no advice except to say I am so sorry... and yes, your God IS in control. I will be praying for you and your husband... that there is peace. Peace beyond all understanding.

(but I do agree about the protien shakes! I think those will help you get protein in)

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

lucy2e
on 6/26/13 11:23 am - Laurel, MD

I'm so sorry - my thoughts and prayers are with you!  It is understandable that the stress is making it hard for you to eat.  Protein shakes - or if they are too much the isopure stuff even, might be a good option to make sure you get all your protein in.  Please remember to take care of yourself - you need to be healthy in order to care for your husband.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

hollykim
on 6/26/13 12:20 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

So sorry about your DH. My mom lived with it for 15!! years,she had early onset at 55 years old,before dying when she choked on her saliva as she had forgotten how to swallow. Even though your DH rapid progress is sad and hurting you ,I know, living a long time with it doesn't help anyone,least of all the victim.

i find that when I am stressed or ill or just not feeling well,i have more restriction and just can hardly eat till I am better. I agree with the protein shakes as well as anything else you think you can handle( on your plan of course). be sure to try your best to keep up on your liquids as well,actually more important than food.

I recently found out that Hospice helps with Alzheimers patients,going as far as to keep the victim in a hospice facility to give the caregiver some respite. Medicare part A covers hospice care 100%. I found this out recently when my father who has  wide spread metastatic lung cancer was admitted to the program.

GL and hang in there.

ldoyle
on 6/26/13 12:38 pm

I am brand new to the forum, and haven't had my surgery yet.  I am waiting for my date.  I was thrilled to find the Bariatric Choice and Wonderslim foods on the Internet.  With even their fruit drinks, you can get in 15 grams of protein.  They have clear soups I plan to use my first couple of weeks.  I hear they are really good!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views