Is it too early???

babybird555
on 6/29/13 12:21 am
VSG on 05/14/13

I am 6 weeks post op and am going to a birthday party/pool party next weekend and was wondering if it was ok to have a ****tail??   I am not a big drinker, usually holidays or party's, so i am not sure if i really even want one, but if i feel like i would want to sip on something, is it too early and what would you suggest??  Maybe some Vodka in flavored water?

Italian-Princess
on 6/29/13 12:37 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

I wouldn't drink any alcohol at this point.  Check with your surgeon and/or nutritionist.  Your new tummy is not healed yet and won't be for quite some time.  It's still tender and swollen.  Is a drink worth the risk of doing harm to your sleeve?  Is alcohol on your plan?  It wasn't on mine -- and it was actually stated that NO alcohol for the first 6 months.  But that is my plan.   Yours may be different.

Instead of a vodka and water, how about a nice glass of water on the rocks with a twist.......lemon or lime.  It's refreshing and you won't risk harming that new tummy.

Good luck...........

Ree

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

PrettyEyes_41
on 6/29/13 12:54 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

IMO 6 weeks is WAY to early for alcohol, but let me clarify - it's YOUR choice. My Dr. said complete healing wouldn't be until around 6 weeks. Adding alcohol to a newly healed wound would probably hurt - a lot. Just think how it feels if you have a cut and put alcohol on it. A stomach takes longer to heal because it stays moist all the time and doesn't have a chance to dry up and scab like a cut on your arm would. My plan says no alcohol until after 6 months, and I stuck to that.  I'd stick to the flavored water. Enjoy the party! 

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

MayPenGirl
on 6/29/13 1:16 am - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 04/03/13

6 weeks is way too early to have a drink.  I am 3 months and I still haven't had a drink.  My best friend who lives in San Antonio told me that a co-worker of hers got the sleeve and is about 2 months out.  They were at a bar.  The sleeved co-worker took a shot of vodka and it came right back up.  She was in the bathroom with her face in the toilet. 

devil

Surgery date - 04/03/13; Goal date - 11/10/13 (I reached goal in 31 weeks & 4 days)

Highest weight 261  SW 258  GW 150   M1 -26  M2 -14  M3 -10  M4 -12  M5 -13  M6 -12  M7 -11  M8 -10  In maintenance since November 2013  HT- 5'6"  

Deckeriv
on 6/29/13 1:17 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
I'm always the contrarian. It won't hurt physically like a pain. It does slow down healing but one drink isn't going to kill you. Vodka water with lime is my preferred drink because its only 100 calories and no carbs. Have some fun. One caution. One drink and you will be pretty tipsy so don't drive, unless you are a professional like me. Bahaha

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/13 1:31 am

I would say no, it's too early.  Three months should be the bare minimal.  There are many reasons to wait, but at six weeks, you are still healing and swollen, it's just way to early.  Will it kill you?  Probably not, but it's also not a good idea.

sleevegirl
on 6/29/13 1:38 am - Austin, TX

I would avoid alcohol. My surgeon said six months, but I had my first one at 3-4 months (a little cranberry vodka). I think it might be pushing it this early out. You'll have a great time without it. Soak up the gift you gave yourself. There's time for ****tails later.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

babybird555
on 6/29/13 2:19 am
VSG on 05/14/13

Thanks so much for the advise, i did pull my doctors diet plan and it says none for the first 6 months..(i should have looked at this first)  so i will def. not have any yet, and didnt really think i was going to, but just wanted to know my options.  I am in no rush...  I am kind of on the shy side, so i think i used to have a drink to relax and gain confidence when I was around a group of people, but now that i have lost over 30lbs., i am gaining more confidence..and feeling better about myself...  so happy!!!  Thanks again for responding!!

rhearob
on 6/29/13 6:01 am - TN

How many calories are you allowed in a day?  600-800?

A typical ****tail will have upwards of 150 calories.  A straight shot of most booze will have about 70 calories per ounce and no protein to speak of.

Is that ****tail worth what it will do to your plan?  Ever heard the rule - Don't drink your calories?  It doesn't apply to just soda.

Best advice - learn to have a good time without the ****tail.  IF you cant enjoy the party or your friends without it - thats something to work on.  IF you need something to sip on, how about ice water in a ****tail glass with some fruit flavored drink enhancer in it.  Is it fruit punch Mio or a Cosmo?  Only your bartender knows for sure.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views