Exercise

Donamay247
on 7/10/13 5:50 am - NY

I've been lurking for some time now while I work through the six month process.  I'm now scheduled with the surgeon in less than two weeks.  Hoping to get a quick surgery date.

I've been wondering about exercise, both before and after surgery.  I'm finding it very difficult to get any formal exercise into my daily routine, in part due to the stifling heat and humidity we're experiencing in the northeast.  The other part due to my own aches and pains especially in feet.  Has anyone experienced success without first starting exercise?  I'm thinking I will be more inclined to do it when I start feeling better, physically.  

barrels1
on 7/10/13 6:07 am
VSG on 05/29/13

I started losing without exercise and it didn't take very long for my feet to start feeling better. Once they did I started walking and then the weight really started coming off. That motivated me to keep walking. I can still tell if I skip exercise for a day, almost every time I won't lose any that day. I have to exercise for it to drop like I want it to.

cappy11448
on 7/10/13 6:22 am

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find it supportive and informative, as I have.

I was adverse to exercising at first.  I was a heavy-weight with issues with my knees and back.  But I found that I could use a recumbent bike with little pain, so I did that, and its worked out well for me.  Plus, I found the pain in my back and knees disappeared with the first 50 pounds. 

Exercise is great for increasing the weight loss.  According to a study from England, exercise increases your base metabolism, so you burn more calories every day when you exercise.  Its a big win for a little effort. 

Try various exercises - perhaps swimming, or the recumbent bike, or some f the wide variety of exercise classes.  You'll find something that works for you, and you'll be glad you did when the pounds start falling away.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/13 10:03 am

Oh, I HATED exercise pre op. It hurt. Just walking my dogs in the park gave me shin splints and made me sweat like a stuck pig! I did do a little walking because I knew it would help me get my pre op weight off and help me with recovery. However, once sleeved I did NOTHING for the next 10 weeks. Then WHAM! the bug hit and I joined the gym and I haven't stopped since.

I can now do 6 miles on the elliptical, I lift weights three days per week, work on abs 2 days per week and do cardio 5 days per week.. Who knew the true transformation that can happen with VSG!

Carmelita
on 7/11/13 5:47 am - Four Corners, NM
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views