Does anybody lie about having had surgery?

christine500
on 7/19/13 2:39 am

I lost 80 pounds on Atkins a few years ago in a very short period of time.

Nancybefree
on 7/18/13 10:08 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I have no problem telling people that I had the surgery if they ask about my weight loss.  People are relieved to hear it sometimes, because in their experience rapid, dramatic weight loss is always due to serious or fatal illness, and a couple of people were apparently very afraid for me. 

The day I decided to have this surgery was the day that someone very generously took 20 minutes out of their day to tell me about their own VSG.  I try to pay that forward.

IMVHO it's a shame to lie about it, but I suppose people do have their reasons.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Nikke2003
on 7/18/13 10:17 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I have not shared it with that many people. Maybe someday, but if someone asks me about now, I sarcastically say that "I don't eat anything that tastes good!" and laugh it off. However, if someone continues to genuinely ask more questions, I do plan to offer to meet with them sometime to talk about it.

I haven't had someone say to me DID YOU HAVE WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY? I would not lie if asked directly. I just don't offer up an explanation or make it sound like it's ONLY diet and exercise that are tools for my weight loss!

Thankfully, I have been losing weight rapidly for months... so after surgery nothing really changed in that area. It didn't appear to be too shocking to anybody... so, I don't think people are assuming that I had it? Who knows!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

HappyGigi
on 7/18/13 10:51 am - FL

My Adult children, my husband and one of my brothers (who happened to be in town the week of my surgery) are the only ones that know exactly what surgery I had. It was easy to explain to other people because after my surgery, the doctor told me he repaired a hiatal hernia during the surgery. I then used that as my excuse as to why I was not out and about for a few days! I did tell friends beforehand that I was going to start a liquid diet for a week under the supervision of my nutritionist to jump start weight loss for me! Now I tell them I am basically watching carbs and protein and doing major portion control! No one has asked any questions, but just comment on how great I am doing. I am 10 weeks out and have lost 33 lbs...(including the pre-op one week) so I'm not a fast loser .....just consistent.

I don't feel like I am lying......just not telling the whole truth. It's just too private of an issue right now. I've lost weight so many times, I just didn't want to be the focus of people watching me.

Good Luck with however you decide to "spin" it!

HW: 247  Pre-op: 225  SW: 216  CW: 174.8       GW: 145                 VSG: May 7, 2013

1 week Pre-op: -9    M1: -12     M2: -8    M3: -7  M4: -6    M5: -7  

Shanda J.
on 7/18/13 11:03 am - IL
VSG on 02/11/13

I have told several people. Almost everyone that I work with knows and if they didn't know they asked me how I lost the weight and I tell them about the VSG. You will be shocked how many people are interested about learning about WLS. There are several people that I work with that would love to have the surgery. All of my family members know about the surgery I told them so I could have their support. I really don't care if someone makes jokes about me, I'm 117 lbs. lighter, I no longer have high blood pressure, I no longer have heart problems, and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. So yeah when people ask me I tell them how healthy I am. It's all up to you!!!

Good luck with your surgery!!!

(HW) 326   (GW) 160   (CW) 209

savannahsmilesagain
on 7/18/13 11:18 am
I am having surgery very close to yours. Only 3 people know. I have said I am going on a protein diet after I come back from vacation. I work with some very judgmental people and don't want to hear it. I am a "lightweight" by some standards but want to be healthy again. I will be going to the gym when I am able after surgery and hopefully I wont feel obligated to tell. It's a personal decision. Good luck!
Pobearsam7
on 7/18/13 11:29 am

I just say I changed my life style which I did... I was a stair step loser so I  lost about 7-10 pounds per month and 45 pounds prior to the vsg as I was going through the testing pre op..,but man did I get looks when I walked in w/ skinny jeans at work...it's a personal decision... And I'm not open about it at all

Kelly                

Bella_Fein
on 7/18/13 11:47 am, edited 7/18/13 11:47 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I didn't tell but a handful of close friends before surgery. At this time my parents don't even know. I never see them so that isn't a problem. My mom asked me once on facebook if I had bypass. I said no and asked her why she asked. She said my aunt suspected after some pages I liked and comments made on other pages on facebook. No lie, but I didn't clarify either. The people that are in my life all the time know. They are the only ones who need to know. My oldest son's step mom is a personal trainer so I am too embarrassed to tell her. Not that my ex needs to know anyway. When they found out I had surgery I just said it was a stomach thing, no biggie. They didn't ask any further. They may suspect, but they are not brazen enough to ask.

After posting a pic of me on facebook someone asked me how and I said I made some drastic changes in my life that included a trip to a therapist (psychological evaluation anyone?).

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/13 1:19 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I did not tell anyone except my husband, two of my four children (the other two live out of state and don't know) and one close friend. I don't tell anyone about my medical conditions and felt this was no different. I started a very low carb diet about 3 months before surgery and lost almost 50 lbs and continued to eat the same way afterwards. So, most people think that I had gall bladder surgery but knew I was losing weight before hand and afterwards with the exact same diet. No one has questioned anything. I'm at the gym daily, my muscles are really popping and I'm getting constant compliments on my arm - everyone sees me work hard and eat clean so no one has every questioned how I have lost the weight. As far as I'm concerned the surgery has truly been a tool but all the hard work and good choices have been mine.
slimpickins5280
on 7/18/13 1:39 pm - CO

Depends on what you consider lying. When someone asked me how I was doing today, I said "fine." That's a ******g lie. When a person told me to smile because it would okay, I said, "okay" instead of ripping the ******g heart out of her chest. That was a lie. When the first location's machine was broken down and they said, "I'm sorry," I said, "it's okay." That was a lie. It definitely wasn't okay.

As an adult you get to decide what part of your personal truth you choose to tell. Don't fool yourself into thinking that even the people who "put it out there" aren't keeping some part of their lives to themselves. They'd be fools not to, imo.  

I only told people when i felt like it. Lately, I really don't tell anyone, mostly because the magic has worn off and it's just blood sweat and tears getting me to my personal goal. The Sleeve is still there rooting me on, but the work in mine.

I didn't post my hysterectomy on FB, or my wisdom teeth removal, or my gall bladder surgery, or my Lasiks. Why does the world need to know about my Sleeve? And why, for fuck's sake, does the surgery get all the accolades? Staying on 800-1000 calories/day, high protein, lower carbs and drinking tons of water is all me, baby. My Sleeve will take anything I put in it. I'M choosing what I eat.

Good luck on your journey. There is not right or wrong answer. I just hope you find out that it doesn't matter if you tell people or don't, the success is real and it is ALL you - with a Sleeve as your wingman.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active