Fruits and Veggies

carebear7391
on 7/20/13 10:26 pm - Wilmington, DE

I am trying to jump start the weight loss process.... I have read over the thread for what the VSGer's are eating and I don't see a lot of fruits and veggies listed.  Should I be avoiding these right now? 

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

Carrie

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/13 10:40 pm

My program does encourage some low carb veggies but not fruit.  My progression was something like this...

1) Make sure you get enough liquid to be hydrated.

2) Make sure you can get enough protein.

3) Only then do you add low carb veggies and eat them as snacks.

4) In maintenance, add it higher carb veggies and some fruit (like berries).

All of the above is done while staying under 800 calories, over 80 grams of protein and under 40 grams of carbs.  That's my doctor's program and what has worked for me. 

carebear7391
on 7/20/13 10:43 pm - Wilmington, DE

Thanks for the feedback!!  It's much appreciated.

jameas
on 7/21/13 2:22 am

EXACT numbers I was asking myself about, I get close to this everyday but now need to look at fruits and veggies as I am getting ready to reintroduce at 6 weeks post is it too soon?

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/13 2:48 am

As per my program, you can reintroduce some veggies but not fruit.  Think low carb veggies that are also high in fiber, like broccoli and cabbage.  But at this early stage, think about just adding a bite or two here and there.  I didn't really start to actively add in two snacks of veggies until I was about three months out.  It just took up the space that I needed for lean, home cooked protein.  At three months, I started adding in some salads and veggie and chicken breast soups.  Some of these are on my profile.

jameas
on 7/22/13 12:03 am

Your words and direction are greatly appreciated Thank you from Alaska

Joy M.
on 7/21/13 1:34 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I haven't really started my "weight loss" my surgery is in 2 weeks n 2 days but fruit at 1/2 cup is included in my day pre op smoothies. And as many non carb veggies as I want. So broccoli, cauliflaur, carrots, spinage are all unlimited pre op diet foods that r good. Good luck.

Bella_Fein
on 7/21/13 2:49 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Fruits I would avoid for the most part, but not veggies. My primary care doc even told my non-op husband to avoid fruits if trying to lose weight. While they are not bad for you and have some nutritional value, they are not needed and can hinder weight loss. I keep my carbs low, but am not super strict about it. The carbs I do eat come from veggies. I just had some delicious shiitake and oyster mushrooms in my eggs this morning. It was delicious.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

happyteacher
on 7/21/13 2:58 am

Fruits and veggies are encouraged in my program, particularly veggies.  They are needed to help support nutrition, and yes that may mean you eat a few carbs.  It's Ok, you won't get fat eating asparagus.  I stuck to green leafy, and a variety of colors for veggies (think orange pepper, tomato, etc.).  I would pay attention to the glycemic index when selecting items and would shoot to keep carbs around 30 (net) for a meal or 15 for a snack.  Fruit changes in the glycemic index depending on the ripeness.  Ripe mango, for example, is higher up then the same mango but less ripe.  For fruit, I ate mostly berries (strawberry in particular), apples, and mango- fresh and not processed in anyway.  I have a lot of fruit allergies so if it were not for that I would have branched out a bit more.  

Veggies, IMHO, help not only with nutrition and fiber but help to keep you satiated as well.  It is a good kind of volume food.  Celery sticks dipped in a little hummus or a Laughing Cow cheese wedge with a few strawberries on the side is a fantastic (and filling) snack :) 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active