2 year Surgiversary

duckheadz
on 7/19/13 2:13 am, edited 7/19/13 2:17 am - MN

My son and I before surgery, and then after - at the annual Torchlight 5k in Minneapolis 7/17/13 - almost exactly 2 years post-surgery.

It's been two years since my VSG and I feel amazing!  I lost 106 pounds in the first year and another 2-7 pounds since then (depends on the day!) and now I work very hard to just keep it off.  I eat mainly protein, fats and veggies/fruit - following the Paleo plan for the most part. It works well with the diet after VSG since it focuses on protein and no/low carbs.  I still have my struggles with wanting sugar and sweets, and I fall off the wagon for a couple days at a time here and there but I always get back on it and back to work so it all evens out.  I love running, I love that I CAN run, and I have completed two half-marathons and am training for the Twin Cities Marathon in October - 26.2 miles, am I nuts?   Excited though to give it a whirl and it keeps me moving and keeps me from reverting back to my sedentary lifestyle.  I have recently realized more starkly that I will never be "done." I have to work always to maintain my weight, working a lot harder to stay at this weight and continue to stay "firm" than I had to work to lose any of it.  So that's fine, but it's a little sobering.  But, one day at a time, that's my thoughts and strategy and I'm gonna keep moving along in that direction.  My goal weight from my surgeon was 194, my goal weight for myself was to simply get a BMI in the normal range which meant lower than 168 pounds, which I achieved and now I hover between 167-172, which is my sweet spot I guess. 

I'm so glad I did this - it's a whole new world, a whole new lifestyle and so many new reasons to get up in the morning. BUT, it hasn't always been easy. I have wrestled with my identity, who I am now, what I think about myself, my flaws, my flappy, loose skin, my worth, my value then and now, my relationship with food and guilt/shame.  So much to grapple with.  I see a counselor every other week to talk about these issues and it's been very helpful.  When I was obese, I valued myself because I was smart and funny and fun and a nice person. Once I hit my goal weight, I started to value myself based on the scale - up a pound = bad person. Down a pound = good person.  Ate a cookie? UTTER FAILURE OF A PERSON!! Ate an apple?  ROCK STAR!!  So I have had to work on keeping all things in perspective.  Balance is hard.  Trying to keep vigilant with my health and weight and fitness while also understanding that life happens, there are birthday cakes, there are reasons to indulge and reasons to rest, all while not letting myself go backwards to a total way of life that is unhealthy. It's a lot of mental work as well as physical work but I'm doing it and trying every day to be healthy emotionally and physically.  Perhaps brain surgery in conjunction with stomach surgery is the answer for the future... :)

VSG Surgery Date 7/18/11    19 pounds lost pre-surgery  

End of 2011 Goal - 200  
linzeelee
on 7/19/13 2:27 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

First of all, you look fabulous! I love the pic of you and your son at the 5K. Also, thank you for your honesty about the things you've struggled with.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

duckheadz
on 7/19/13 3:01 am - MN

Thanks and you're welcome.  No one was more suprised than I was that it was such an emotional experience and a big mental battle.  But, worth it :) 

christine500
on 7/19/13 2:49 am

You look FABULOUS!  You are an inspiration!

CaliKymmy
on 7/19/13 2:59 am - CA

Congratulations on your success beautiful lady!  Thank you so much for sharing your very honest journey.  Having lost 110 lbs only to gain it back over the last year, I faced many of the negative self talk and "head" issues you describe when I was near goal and I allowed it to undermine my progress.  Now, facing VSG I have no illusions that the head work continues and this will only be a tool to help me achieve my optimum weight loss goals.  You're an inspiration.  Keep up the GREAT work! :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/13 4:15 am

Great post! Thanks for the candor and honesty. Like you, I believe that this post losing phase is far harder than the weight loss phase. I'm embracing the fact that to keep my weight in check requires a lot of hard work and fewer calories than I would like it to be! LOL!

Keep up the great fight and good luck on your marathon! That really will be quite an accomplishment. My hat is off to you for even undertaking the training!

lsereno
on 7/19/13 4:51 am - CA

Congrats and Happy Surgiversary! I love reading about vets staying at goal. 

Lynda

Tirza T.
on 7/19/13 5:05 am
VSG on 01/17/12
So glad that I read this post. It is very honest and I respect that. You look amazing!
Cwuddy
on 7/19/13 8:51 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

CONGRATS on your success!  You look AMAZING and are truly inspiring!  Thank you so much for posting about your struggles and how even after 2 years you still have to stay mindful and on top of everything!  I am 10.5 months out and I really love to hear the advice of people farther out b/c it helps to keep things real!!  

Keep up the good work, you are awesome!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

Sandy M.
on 7/19/13 9:52 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Excellent job!  I'm really hoping that if I can find my happy place with exercise that I'll be able to maintain once I reach "normal" myself.  I truly think that it's at least 50% of the battle!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views