Weight Gain From Medications

Jessica O.
on 7/19/13 4:55 am - Ann Arbor, MI

I've been taking Wellbutrin for a few months and now my doctor is putting me on Celexa to combat anxiety.  I'm concerned that the Celexa will cause weight gain.  I don't understand how medications can cause weight gain.  I have noticed that I've been really food obsessed lately and eating out of boredom.  I'm not sure if that's because I've had sugar in my diet that is causing the cravings.

Experience with this medication combo or weight gain in general on medication post-op?

Sleeved on 11/23/11 at 302lbs (309 sw.) 5'6" / 41 years old

akr9911
on 7/19/13 8:50 am
VSG on 06/20/13

Hi. I looked at this earlier but didn't reply because, while I am 4 weeks post-op and I do take a diffterent antidepressant and antianxiety med combo, I was taking both before surgery and I haven't experienced a gain. I certainly did when I first started taking them, but that's a while ago now. It sounds like your food obsession and eating of boredom are pre-op habits that you need to try to work on. I don't think you'll gain weight from this combo post op, unless your eating habits change significantly in the wrong direction. Consider this too: if you're anxiety is under control, then maybe you won't feel compelled to eat to comfort yourself? If that's what you're doing. It's what I did.

In the end, I also believe that, for me, a few pounds (and you shouldn't gain more than 3 or 4 IMHO) is a far better alternative than an unmedicated me with a case of the crazies. I've been that girl. That girl eats too much as well, and she's hard to live with. I choose meds, for the sake of my sanity and my family's too.

Good luck!

HW 259 SW 251 CW 217 M1-20.5 M2 -7.5 M3 -4 M4 -2

Sleeveless
on 7/19/13 2:57 pm - CA
VSG on 11/26/12

I've never heard of Wellbutrin or Celexa causing weight gain. I recommend googling for more info about side effects.

Hopefully, you can continue to take these meds. It's hard to trade the benefit of a VSG only to have nothing to relieve your depression.

Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views