Runners a few questions for you

Chenoa
on 7/31/13 12:18 am - Kingston, PA
VSG on 05/07/12
I just recently started a program to train for a 5 K. Now mind you I have not really ever ran a day in my life. It is the Jeff Gallaway program so it combines walking and running kind of like Couch to 5 K. Any tips? what about breathing? I have a hard time with trying to figure out best way to breathe. It is like i am out of breath really quick. Also my knees are killing me. I am just wondering if there are things I can do to make this better. I am determined and not giving up and I hope it will get better but just making sure I am not doing something wrong.

Chenoa

HW 373 PreOp 338 Day of Surgery 321 1st 34lbs 287 2nd 8lbs 278 3rd 13lbs 265
4th 7lbs 258 5th 10lbs 248
6th 4lbs 244 7th 2lbs 242 8th 0lbs 242 9th 0 242

Keith L.
on 7/31/13 12:33 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

First things first, and I used to think this was a bunch of hooey, but go to a running store and have them evaluate you and recommend a good pair of shoes, it will make all the difference. Expect to pay between $100 and $150. Get some good socks too. I know it sounds like a shoe should be a shoe, but it will help with the knee, ankle, hip pain. When I did it, it just so happened that the brand they selected for me was the brand I already had but a different style. I didn't even think the shoe was all that comfortable but they asked if I would go try it for a couple days and if I still didn't like it they would replace them no questions asked. They were right on the money. No hip pain, no knee pain, no ankle pain. Well worth the $116 I spent. They look at how you walk and determine the right shoe for they way your feet turn, etc. I would say this is critical to your success, especially if you have difficulty.

As for breathing, this takes some practice. You need to fall into a breathing rhythm. You want to sort of breath in when you bring your dominate foot up and out when it goes down. If you notice when you step down on your dominate foot (so right if you are right handed) that you sort of exhale sharply. This is because you are jarring your body. This is causing your quicker than normal shortness of breath because in essence you are hyperventilating. If you are already breathing out when this occurs, its not as sharp and you are not instinctually inclined to breath in quickly because your breathing pattern is breathing in next.

Next make sure you are running on the balls of your feet, this will lessen the blow when your feet land. The more weight you lose the less pressure you will feel, but this will help early. If you are not a runner, this will feel awkward and its not easy to transition to. In fact after 6 months of running I still have to remind myself to rock forward. It takes time but you will get there.

I am not familiar with the Jeff Gallaway program but I did C25K and it really works well, so if you find that its not working out too well for you, check out the C25k program before you give up. I have run 5 5ks since completing the program and I hate running.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Spencerella
on 7/31/13 1:03 am, edited 7/31/13 8:00 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12
The Galloway program is the basis of countless running programs and is a solid way to begin running. As far as advice goes, what Keith said. In addition, try slowing your pace further so your breathing is not labored. It may seem incredibly slow, but it's important to run at proper pace to build your habits as well as your endurance. Speed will come in time.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Chenoa
on 7/31/13 1:23 am - Kingston, PA
VSG on 05/07/12
THank you Both! I will definelty use these tips!!! I thought running shoes would work. I do have Nikes but I will go get that checked maybe I do have the wrong type. thanks again. I really was not into wanting to run but now I just want to do it because it seems like a good goal to work for and to beable to say I can do this. SO now I WANT IT lol I hope that makes sense

AnnieinIA
on 7/31/13 2:19 am
Thanks for asking these questions! I just started the C25K program and this is great info.

Annie
PrincessPR
on 7/31/13 7:37 am
VSG on 12/17/13

I totally agree with Keith on shoes.  Properly fitting shoes can make a HUGE difference in everything from speed to knee and hip pain.  It's definitely worth the investment and can prevent injury.  As far as breathing, remember to stand up right with relaxed shoulders for good breathing.  Most beginning runners tend to slightly slouch or bend over at the waist and that will inhibit good breathing.  Good posture means everything.  You need to make sure you strike mid-foot, keep your foot, knee, and hip all in alignment.  Don't over-step in your stride.  Remember to stretch after you run on warm muscles.  Not on cold muscles.  This can lead to injury. Don't be afraid to start slow.  I personally like walk/run intervals.  For example, when outside I use telephone or light poles.  I run between one set, than walk; run, than walk, etc.  After a week or two, I try to run two sets, walk one, etc.  This can help build up endurance.  Hills can be your friend!!  I promise in the long-run, you'll embrace them. I'm not sure your size situation or lose skin situation but I highly encourage you to look into anti-chaffing products.  For example, I use products between my thighs when wearing shorts.  It doesn't take long at all to chafe; especially in summer heat!!!  I particularly like a product called Glide.  It comes in a stick similar to deodorant.  I also like baby oil gel. Lotion will not cut it!  In the beginning, slow and steady wins the race.  My first event ever was a 1/2 marathon.  It wasn't pretty but I finished.  Take time to take it all in.  Be PROUD of your accomplishment!!!!  Best of luck on your 5K.  ENJOY!!!!!

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

cougar_trainee
on 8/1/13 4:13 am
I'm a pre-op'er but used the Galloway method to complete two half marathons. Mind you I completely conked out by mile 8 and ended up walking that last five miles, but it is totally doable for a 5k. When I started I could only run 45 seconds at a time and added about 15 seconds of running every two weeks. That way I totally mastered the breathing by the time I got to 2 minutes of running. I cannot reiterate the importance of good shoes and THE RIGHT SHOE FOR YOU! If possible, get fit at a running store in your area. You'd be shocked by how many people wear the wrong size shoe.

Jennifer
Chenoa
on 8/2/13 10:36 pm - Kingston, PA
VSG on 05/07/12
Thank you all I am heading to a store after work today to be fitted for shoes. thank you for all the tips. I am taking it slow and will keep at it thanks again everyone

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views