Any of you that had the sleeve, do you wish you would have had RNY??

Jackie T.
on 8/5/13 11:43 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Not everyone can get off of the insulin with any of the surgeries.  Also how long you have been on the medication can play a role.  I know a woman who was on very high doses of insulin prior to having her RNY and she can not get off of the insulin either.  She is on a very low dose now.  She lost of 200 lbs.  Unfortunately, having weight loss surgery is not a guarantee that you will get off any of your medications but it is an added bonus when you can and/or go to a lower dose.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Jackie T.
on 8/5/13 11:51 pm, edited 8/5/13 11:51 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I do not regret my decision one bit!  I did not want my insides rerouted.  The way I look at the sleeve surgery is that I am the same as I was prior to surgery except that I have a smaller stomach.  I think you can be successful with any of the surgeries if you stay with the plan and do not become complacent once you hit goal.  You can regain with any surgery but you need to take the time in the beginning to change your lifestyle and your relationship with food.

I attended my 30th high school reunion this past weekend and there was a classmate there that had RNY.  She says that she does not have to watch what she eats because she can only eat a little bit at a time.  She told me she has ice cream every day and a dessert with dinner.  It is very sad because she thinks she can eat anything she wants every day and she won't put the weight back on.  We are the same height and she had her surgery 6 months before I did.  I am down 106lbs and she is down 75 lbs.  Now I know we all lose at different rates but I am 6 months behind her and have lost 31lbs more than she has.  I don't think she will be successful long term because she has not learned anything about changing her relationship with food.

You need to pick the surgery that is going to be best for you and you will succeed if you stick to your plan long term.

Good luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Tracy D.
on 8/6/13 12:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

No way...this was the best decision for me for all the reasons everyone else has stated i.e. no malabsorption, intact pyloric valve, no re-routed intestines, no dumping syndrome, fewer vitamins to take. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

AdeanaMarie
on 8/6/13 2:12 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

Nope, no regrets on having the sleeve.  Happy Camper here.  :O)

I have Crohn's Disease, so the sleeve was my only option, but the one I wanted anyway.  So all worked out perfectly for me.  

Best wishes on your journey!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

UnRuli
on 8/6/13 3:46 am - Plainwell, MI

Three years out and NO WAY would I switch!  I LOVE my sleeve!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views