Need so uplifting words today.....

nay2120
on 8/7/13 10:49 pm - MA
VSG on 09/03/13

Hello, My name is Renee. I"m new to the board.

I have been going through the program to get a sleeve done. I have had all of my prereqs done by 7/12 & met with the surgeon on 7/29. I am STILL waiting for a date!!! There are 3 other people I have met that have their dates, but still have prereqs to finish & have'nt met the surgeon yet. I keep calling to see if there is any update. No change.... the scheduler just keeps telling me she needs to talk with her supervisor to see about releasing more dates. She finally basically told me to stop calling her, she'll call me when she knows anything. I was so upset with the way she talked with me I went to the office myself. She had gone home early but they had me speak with the np. I couldn't help it, I cried & was upset. I got the normal response of "I'm sorry but you'll get there, dont worry" When I asked her why some people received their date after I have been calling, & they aren't even ready, she of course can't talk about other pts. I understand that. I work at this hospital in the emergency room as a secretary. I understand how this works. I guess I'm just feeling like it's not fair if we started the same day, & I'm ready to go, why would they get dates??

Now I'm sure she thinks I'm crazy as a loon. I tried to explain to her how stressful this is to be done with everything & just waiting. They might have some openings in October.... It just seems like such a LONG time with no follow up appts, no nut meetings, from now until then. I am going to try to go to the monthy support groups to help me stay on track but I feel like I'm just in limbo.

I know I just need to  be patient ...... I wish I could take my emotion out of the picture & just be logical about this. I know it's summer, & every patient is different. I just can't get my emotions in check....

Thanks for listening

jenn227
on 8/7/13 10:53 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

I'm so sorry you're going through this!  It is very frustrating, and of course emotional!  Once you get your date, you should find some peace.  Very good idea about attending the support group meeting.  And you can come on here too!!

Take care!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

linzeelee
on 8/7/13 11:38 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Hi Renee,

I am so sorry you're so stressed. It doesn't seem fair that others who are not as far in the process can have dates but you can't. I don't know much about the process, because my insurance excludes bariatric procedures, but it sounds like bull to me. I can certainly understand your impatience. Hang in there...it will happen. Hugs to you.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/7/13 11:40 pm
im so sorry I know it can be totally frustrating it took me a year to get a date ( but that is a total different story). anyhow try and just hang in there you are on the right track . I think attending support meetings would be great . you can also get a wealth of knowledge here on OH that will help you along the way to be more prepared after you are sleeved. I am sending you positive thoughts and encouragement to just hang in there we all know how frustrating it can be but just keep doing what you're doing and you will get a date before you know it .
The_True_KayD
on 8/8/13 12:49 am

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I applaud you for wanting to get the change done. If I could suggest to take some time and catch your breath. Going to the support groups is a great idea!  My local support groups are wonderful!!  It is a room filled with understanding, acceptance and support. When I started this process I had the thought that I wanted to just "get it all done".  I was ready to get the behavioral and nutritionist appointments done! Then the brakes came! I got my nutritionist appointment that was almost two months away! At first I was not a happy woman when I was given the date!  But what could I do? I accepted it. As soon as I accepted it had things happen that showed there was a purpose to the delay. I found a second support group. I thought I knew all about things! My first meeting showed me that there was so much more for me to know! The support groups are helping me learn things about this process and about myself. I am digging deeper into my eating and learning strategies to increase my post-op success. I realize now that rushing things was not to my benefit. As time passed, I have discovered my hyper need for immediate gratification and the impact that it has had on my life and health! The reality is that my wanting immediate gratification has resulted in me needing to loose 100+ plus. I HATE how I look right now and so want the change!  I know surgery will result in the change with how I look but having the surgery too soon may result in me not being fully ready for the change. I know that the surgery will happen and I am going to sit back and let it happen when it is meant to be. Thanks to all that I have learned during this delay that when I get my date, I know that I will be ready mentally, physically and emotionally.   It all increases my chance for success!  

mokee
on 8/8/13 12:50 am - OH
I started in June of 2012 and needed to do a 3 months of nutritional meetings. So over the next 3 months I jumped thru all the hoops, all the testin, the nut meetings so I thought I would have surgery in Oct. well guess what, it was not until Nov 28 . Right in the midst of all the holidays. I skipped all the holiday parties because of this. It was a really bad time to have this surgery but it is over now and I am down 80 lbs. keep pushing for your date and best of luck to you.

VSG  12-28-2012

Nancybefree
on 8/8/13 2:34 am
VSG on 11/21/12 with

Heh, we're practically sleeve twins.  Mine was 11/21/12, the day before Thanksgiving.  Came home the next day ... very, very thankful.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Heather L.
on 8/8/13 1:11 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

i've got at least two years to wait for my first consultation (then probably another year until surgery), so i totally understand the battle with patience. especially because it took me several years to decide this was what i wanted.  now that i have made up my mind, i just want to do it NOW.  

in the meantime, i'm reading all i can and trying to change my eating and exercise habits so that when it is my time, the transition won't be quite so difficult/traumatic.

deep breaths. just remember, this is only a small part of your life. it'll be all done and over with before you know it.

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

mokee
on 8/8/13 3:43 am - OH
Nancybefree. You are doing so well. You put me to shame. Keep up the good work and you will be to goal way before a yr. post op.

VSG  12-28-2012

nay2120
on 8/8/13 4:28 am - MA
VSG on 09/03/13

Thank you everyone for the support!!! I have been reading through this forum since I found it about a month ago.

There is so much more information here than I learned than at my dr's!!!!  

I am trying to just forget about everything for a couple of days & give my mind a rest. Everything will work out the way it's supposed to. I am working hard to make changes to my mind, as well as my body. It will come. I won't give up on myself this time!!!

Thank you again everyone!!! I felt SO much better just reading everyone's support & words of encouragement.

Renee

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views