week 7 options program, Kaiser, Fontana, Ca

lciarlo
on 8/19/13 7:24 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm a 60 years old, 5' 11",  300 lb male going thru the Kaiser options program in Fontana, Ca.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who currently going thru this program or who has already completed the program and surgery. Although i have changed my diet quite a bit, I'm still worried that i wont be able to maintain the diet that's necessary for WLS.

As far as exercising goes, I'm experiencing some pain in my hips, which limits how much i can do at one time. I'm sure many other people have similar self doubts about their ability to do this. I'd love to hear from you.

claimmaster
on 8/19/13 8:37 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I can't speak for Kaiser, but the pain in your hips is pretty typical when you first start out.  It gets better over time, and as you lose more weight.  It was what keeps me from walking farther than I do now....not tired legs or tired body...hip pain.  I find that bending over on a regular basis, at the waist, helps relieve that pain and allows me to go further.  Exercise just keeps getting easier and easier, and therefor more and more rewarding.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

cappy11448
on 8/19/13 9:19 pm

I was 383 pounds when I started the WLS process.  I had pain in my knees and back, and I found that the recumbent stationary bike was a good exercise for me. The pain was basically gone by the time I lost 50 pounds.  So my advice to you is to find something that you can do that doesn't stress the hips too much, and it will get better with time.

I am 4 months post-op, and I've been diligently sticking to my plan, but its in part because I have great fear that if I waiver, I'll blow the whole works.  We've all had so many yo-yo diets, and so many successes that did not work in the long run.  I'd guess we are all terrified as to whether we can actually make this work. 

But the good news is that most people do succeed.  Its easier because the drive to eat is diminished.  I don't feel driven to food as I have before surgery.  I also keep my carbs really low because I know that carbs trigger my cravings.  I think the surgery doesn't make it easy but it makes it possible. 

I think you'll find that you can do it, too.  It is so worth the effort.

Best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

denisedufrene
on 8/21/13 2:04 pm, edited 8/21/13 2:05 pm - Oak Hills, CA
VSG on 04/04/13

I went thru the options program in Fontana as well...I completed my classes and then I had to get a blood pressure issue taken care of before I had my surgery...so I took care of that which took a lot longer than I had hoped for...and then on April 4 of this year I got my sleeve and haven't looked back since...I am almost 5 moths post op and I have lost 74 lbs...My surgeon was Dr. Chin very nice and explains everything...so after you finish your classes there is about a 3 month gap before you proceed to the pysch nurse and then to the surgeon and don't be surprised if when you go in the see the surgeon on a Friday you just might be in surgery a week later that's what happed to me....The first couple of weeks are hard but that's the time you lose the most weight I lost 32 lbs. the first month...I excerise very little like I walk a mile 3 times a week my weight loss might be more if I did it more but just cant right now...I feel good my back no longer hurts nor do my feet....all I can say is enjoy the ride...its nice to be a loser...lol..good luck to you...if you have any questions feel free to ask...

HW: 287     SW:  285     CW:  176     GW:  150

(deactivated member)
on 8/22/13 4:07 pm
I have just completed the Kaiser Fontana Options. I learned a lot in Options and think Instructor Dana was so informative positive and invigorating everyone should get a chance to attend one of her classes. I also fear the diet post op. I guess when you diet for an eternity and fail perpetually its natural to fear failure again. I too would like some info on current Kaiser timeline. Apparently as of today mental health is scheduling out into mid September. I would like to hear from others on timeline after mental health. I have been very pleased with Kaiser thus far. One thing to remember if you complete all the requirements you have up to a year to commit and not have to repeat. I have been browsing here awhile and have come across many posts of people who midway decided not to complete and later have to start all over. So just keep plugging away like a sponge to keep all your options open.
lciarlo
on 8/22/13 8:48 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
lciarlo
on 8/22/13 8:44 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
lciarlo
on 8/22/13 8:51 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
lciarlo
on 8/22/13 8:52 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
lciarlo
on 8/22/13 9:00 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Most Active
Recent Topics