I need to be smacked upside the head....

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/13 1:46 am

There is a moment between you craving something and reaching for it.  I want you to lengthen the time of that moment.  I want you to tell yourself that you can have this thing you crave, but in ten minutes.  I would really like it if you go****er or tea or some other non caloric liquid and drank a lot of it during those ten minutes.  Then, ten minutes later, check in with yourself again.  Do you still want this?  You might not be hungry, you might just be dehydrated or feeling an emotion that you wish to push down.  You need to figure it out, but in the while---drink.  Good luck to you.

mimij
on 8/30/13 2:28 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Great advice Elina. I am listening.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

christinahelena
on 8/30/13 3:51 am - CA

Absolutely great advice from Elina.. And I might add, go try in your newer smaller others and look in thd mirror for 15 minutes!!

As for exercise...Ike everything else , it's part if your plan and not a choice! You choose what where when and how bug not If. Period. Don't  think of it as a choice ... Liking ig us Nice but usually gone. After doin. It for : month. And liking you'd tighter butt and abs, you'd firmer arms, your newfound core strength. 

For many of us, this journey is sll about self discipline . Many heavy people are over achieves in every aspect of their lives except their weight... This is the arena they use to " take care" of therd unmet needs, fill their emptiness and get comfort. That has to change to get and stay successful. Snack on non Caloric foods like cucumber slices, pickles, shredded lettuce with a little soy abd rice vinegar and a Splenda packet for dressing..

make sure your protein. Numbers are  up and you're not hungry because youre protein deficient. Make yourself go to the gym... Not a choice. When I really really dont Want to  go I play  this head game with myself: you only have to do 15 minutes, then you can go home... Because for me it's hard to

make  ymyself go... Once I'm in with my great play list jamming..I'm good for an hour ! No one needing me, no dishes, no mommy this or that... Good alone, thinking time. Trust me... You'll get there but it starts with making yourself go.

Just do it

Christina

SophieNJ
on 8/30/13 10:13 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

OMG, you are so right ....I called myself a "closet over achiever" !!!  like it was a bad thing....and I did achieve many things, but never weight control....I was aware that I used food to fill emptiness/get comfort, but never understood why almost everything else in my life I got (mostly) what I wanted....hmmm, and for those things that didn't work out, I blamed on my weight.

yep, getting my protein every day.....but as you suggest, I need to make exercise "not a choice"...

I also love my playlists, and it does make those times I do work out, much more enjoyable.

thanks

"

SophieNJ
on 8/30/13 9:59 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I've been trying that, grabbing water..thanks....but you know what hits me, gets me to stop the most?  when I get to the excuses i make in my head - like "oh just eat this for now, and get back to the program tomorrow"....well, at 60, I've been telling myself that for DECADES!!! Never for just tomorrow!!  that's the excuse that got me where I was.  keeping that in my head, along with having a beverage makes a big differece.

thank you!

cappy11448
on 8/30/13 2:43 am

Hi Sophie,

I can relate to what you are feeling.  Yesterday I had some stress at work, and it was driving me to the refrigerator.  I resisted, but it was a strong reminder that the addictive behavior is lurking not far from the surface. 

I wanted to make a suggestion about the exercise which was also a challenge for me.  I disliked it so much.  I decided I would exercise every day, even if it was only for a couple minutes.  This had two effects.  I didn't give myself room to make excuses - I always do it.  The other was that once I start, its not so bad, and almost always, I'll keep going for at least 10 minutes.  I know I would benefit from doing more exercise, but I figure any exercise is better than none, and this works for me.

Concerning the cravings,  do you find that carbohydrates are triggering the cravings?  For me, if I eat carbs, they trigger terrible cravings for days.  just a thought.

best wishes,

Carol.

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

SophieNJ
on 8/30/13 10:05 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I will try that, to exercise just for a few mins...not put pressure on myself that it has to be a full out workout routine...and lets see where that takes me! 

re carbs....mostly the only ones I have are fruit/veggies/dairy/etc...but no, no cravings from 'white' carbs, as I don't allow myself to have them....or, I should say they are not in the house....I did have a few with the samples at costco, but they did not set off a craving...I keep aware they are a trigger...they are what got me to 275..

thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/13 5:00 am - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13

you are not in denial.  that is the first step.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 78 views