Psyc Eval

RissaCup
on 10/10/13 4:12 am

So just out of curiosity for those who have had one - what does the doc ask you? I have mine on 11/18 so I was curious

Nancybefree
on 10/10/13 4:21 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Mine was quite pleasant, actually.  I chose one from a list, and she turned out to be a therapist specializing in eating disorders.  She asked me about my weight loss history, about my family situation (now and in the past), about my goals for having the surgery and my expectations from having it, about my general medical history.  It was more of a discussion, really, with scented candles burning and soft music. 

It's important to note that I was honest with her and that I was very receptive to what she had to say.

I left her office with some good resource suggestions (websites, books) and a really positive but realistic attitude.

Compared with the psych eval experiences others have related on this board, I think I lucked out.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

The_True_KayD
on 10/10/13 4:36 am

My eval was in July. Some questions they asked were about suicide attempts, past behaviors and support. I took the approach with mine that before I left I stated what I realized that I needed to work on. I have done exactly that! Being honest and finding solutions to hurtles has resulted in me being well prepared for what is to come. I noted all the things that I did during my failed attempts to loose weight. This time I did completely the opposite. I realized that the Dr will work on my stomach size but no my brain and attitudes. I found some great support groups both in person and online. I listened to the behaviorists' and nutritionist's advice. After all, my own advice is what got me to carry an extra 100+lbs. LOL.  I took time to really get to know myself. I met with the behaviorist again and she confirmed that I am ready and was pleased with the changes that I made. Waiting to hear on my surgical consult and then my surgery date. It will be potentially around Christmas. It will be the best gift that I have ever given myself!  Being honest and willing to change is far more important than telling them what they want to hear so that you can just have the surgery. 

KrissyKooKoo
on 10/10/13 5:00 am
RNY on 07/22/19

My psych eval is the day after yours.  Out of curiosity, what are they saying for an estimated surgery date for you?

RissaCup
on 10/10/13 6:03 am

I havent actually asked yet. I will be asking at my fist preop classes

Karissa H 5'4.5" | A 27 | HW 311 | SW 270 CW 142.4 | GW #1 147 | GW #2 133 comparison          

G5x5
on 10/10/13 5:41 am - VA

Mine was pretty straight forward and the outcome seemed to focus on two areas:

(1) Are you mentally balanced enough to handle the surgery and post-op?  Basically, are you a good candidate for surgery.

(2) Do you have contributing issues that could derail the process?  In short, do you have issues causing the weight problems.  Although, I don't think the presence of any issues disqualifies you.  It's more about how to proceed if there are things like that.

We talked for about 2 hours, and afterwards the psych wrote up a nice summary for my surgeon that basically said "yes, he is a good candidate in my professional opinion".

Aside from answering the questions above, which are good to know, I think a lot of this is to help make the case with the insurance company.  By the time your package goes to them for approval they'll get a whole collection of medical history that says "this person should be approved for surgery and here's why".

So really, this visit is just to help out your process.  I was amused by it in the end, but slightly nervous going in because I didn't know what to expect at all.  You'll be one leg up one me .

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

The_True_KayD
on 10/10/13 5:42 am

She did give a rough estimate but it depends upon what your program and Insurance requires. My program requires one month of classes and my insurance requires 6 mos of weight loss. The extra time has allowed me to work on myself and get ready physically and mentally. My name has been forwarded to the surgical team and I will be hearing from them with a consult date. After that my surgery is then scheduled. 

hopesmom
on 10/10/13 8:36 am
VSG on 09/26/13
My eval involved an initial consult w psych, then a follow up w written testing materials. You do not do yourself any favors in the long run if you are not honest. FYI - I have a history of eating disorders, and the psych who is affiliated w the practice referred me to someone who works extensively w bariatric patients and people withe eating disorders. I met with him weekly for a few months prior to surgery, which was invaluable. So, even if there are "issues" the psych piece is designed to help you be successful post op.

HOPESMOM

mrseveland
on 10/10/13 1:10 pm

Mine was frustrating but humorous. After going through hell to get it authorized and waiting 6 weeks for an appointment, he proceeded to lecture me about how if I'd sweat for 2 hours a day minimum I wouldn't have a weight problem. Then he took a cell phone call from his wife, left me to meet her in the parking lot to switch cars, came back to ask me if I had suicidal thoughts, and it was over.  Nothing remotely akin to whether I was mentally or emotionally prepared for this journey, nothing about commitment or unrealistic expectations, how my depression might be affected, etc.  All this for the special low low price of $250! 

MrsEveland

Highest weight: 304     Surgery weight: 242     Goal weight: 140

Bloodshotbetty
on 10/11/13 12:23 am - minneapolis, MN

Mine was really short as I already see a psychiatrist and therapist regularly.  I did take the MMPI, however.  It's a 500 question test that looks for various mental health issues.  The results came back that I had a slight tendency towards rebelling (which my mom and I found hilarious because I am covered in tattoos and listen to punk rock but was also a very responsible straight A student...so it was very accurate!).  My bipolar didn't even show up which means it was well managed with meds.  We talked about potential barriers to my success and even discussed the fact that my husband is an alcoholic (he was not sober at the time) and how that might effect my ability to be successful.  

What I found interesting is that I passed the psych eval but the NUTRITIONIST almost didn't approve my surgery because of my husband's drinking and how I didn't have a "stable home life".  I was IRATE.  I told her that my husbands problem is HIS problem and I live my own life regardless of his sobriety.  Fortunately she let me pass.

-Alycia-

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views