Exercise Options? - Walking is extremely painful

J. Napier
on 10/20/13 6:48 am

Mobility has always been an issuse since I was a child. That and horrible diet prompted me to get the VSG. I have Spondylolisthesis and currently zero cartilage in my left hip. My left leg is longer than my right, and thus my gate is off. Walking has never been something that is a major issue as of late, especially for much other than walking to do daily stuff.

Once I can afford a membership at the YMCA, I will likley go to the pool which will be low-impact. Do you have any recommendations on workout options to do while sitting?

I had my surgery on Monday and have already lost 21lbs!

Twitter: @jim_napier | Facebook: JimNapier

Sandy M.
on 10/20/13 8:44 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Since you're going to the Y (I just joined myself), check out the Silver Sneakers classes.  Although designed for older people, anyone can join, and they mostly do the workout in chairs, or with a chair for support.   I really wish you well - mobility issues have to be very tough!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Sandy M.
on 10/20/13 8:45 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Since you're going to the Y (I just joined myself), check out the Silver Sneakers classes.  Although designed for older people, anyone can join, and they mostly do the workout in chairs, or with a chair for support.   I really wish you well - mobility issues have to be very tough!

Also check out resistance bands, which have several exercises that can be done seated.  Also hand weights.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

katym
on 10/20/13 9:40 am - PA

hi J,

Congrats on your surgery!

I understand what it is like to want to maximize the results from a VSG but not be able to do a lot of traditional exercise. Because of Cerebral Palsy and Arthritis I use a wheelchair. Some doctors did not think I could be active enough to be a weight loss surgery success, but I have lost almost 100 pounds. Though I do put most of my effort into careful eating and drinking, I regularly use resistance bands and small wrist weights to get upper body exercise.

Have you seen any of Keith L's posts on this forum? He posts exercises and recipes almost every day. He regularly includes "beginners" exercises and sometimes even chair exercises. His posts have given me some new ideas and taught me that You Tube can be a great resource for finding exercise videos that work for those with mobility issues. (By the way almost everyone who is morbidly or super morbidly obese has mobility issues of one kind or another, ours are just more obvious.)

all the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Hislady
on 10/20/13 10:32 am - Vancouver, WA

I have a lung disease so anything is difficult for me to do but I have found as long as I do it sitting I can do quite a few things. I have a recumbent stationary bike that I use. When I started it was literally a matter of only a few minutes but slowly and surely I'm adding more minutes every week. Also there are gazillions of sit down exercise DVDs and like the other person said youtube is a fantastic place to check them out. They even have Zumba for chair workouts. The stretch bands are also great because anything that will build muscle will help burn more calories. So keep trying different things till you find a few you like and can do. Good luck to you!

princesswimmer24
on 10/20/13 12:16 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I would recommend looking up some of Keith's posts. He has posted low impact exercises and videos for chair exercises. You could prolly look on youtube for some chair exercises as well. Upper body exercises really get the heart moving. Congrats on your surgery and weight loss!! Keep us updated on your progress!!

MsVonne
on 10/20/13 2:05 pm - MI
VSG on 08/28/13

Hello,

You have done wonderful so far.  Keep it going.  Try going to an goodwill to purchase and stationary bike and ride that it will get your heart pumping and burning cals. 

Spices
on 10/20/13 7:16 pm

Perhaps some chair yoga?

I have very low mobility due to abysmal knees, and I find that walking is just too painful. I've found that chair yoga, however, does have the same benefits for those of us that are older or unable to do standard yoga.

Some instructors have started teaching this, but those are few and far between. There are some excellent videos on Youtube. All you need is a chair, and some room.

cmgrayson
on 10/20/13 11:59 pm
VSG on 06/25/13

Reclining bicycle?

J. Napier
on 10/21/13 12:56 am

Good thought, but I have trouble with my hip joints.

Twitter: @jim_napier | Facebook: JimNapier

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views