Surgery date set, now why the hell am i second-guessing myself?

cjr721
on 10/23/13 4:41 am - Spring Brook Township, PA

My insurance approved my VSG and my surgery date is 11/21.  The naysayers are coming out of the woodwork making me second guess my decision.  Everything from "you'll never be able to eat real food again" to "You know there will be a lot of vomiting".  I'm ready to scream.  At 42, I have already had one cancer diagnosis(ovarian, in remission) and I do not ever want another one.  I'm 4'11 so any extra weight looks like a ton on me.  But the reality is, my BMI is 41.2 and I have 101 extra pounds on my body.  I know it would be hard and I know it will be tough.  Do people think I'm stupid?

pharmagirl_45
on 10/23/13 5:06 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

Don't list to them.  You are doing this to be health!  My BF had it back in June and she is doing great.  She has lost over 70lbs and yes, she can eat real food.

Stop tell people that you having the surgery.

VSG on 1/14/14 with Dr. Samuel Wasser

Tracy D.
on 10/23/13 5:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Listen to yourself, not other people.  I'll tell you that the ONLY thing I eat is "real food".   In fact, my food is a lot more "real" now (meaning I don't eat fast food or processed crap) than before surgery!   I had one vomit episode and it was totally my own fault for trying something much too soon post-op.  Haven't had one single episode since and many people on here have never thrown up. 

Unless the naysayers have gone through it personally, they are just spouting garbage that they've heard second and third-hand. 

Having said all that, you might second-guess yourself now because the date is set and it's all becoming REAL!  Best of luck on your surgery and let us know if you have any other questions.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

cappy11448
on 10/23/13 8:05 am

Hang in there.  First of all,  You can eat real food after surgery, just in smaller quantities.  And I've only thrown up once in my 6 months post surgery.  So don't let people who know nothing about this have so much impact on you.

I don't think anyone can really understand the struggles of obesity unless they've experienced it.  Choosing surgery to manage your obesity is a wise decision. The surgery and the recovery are not easy but  not terrible, either.  And it is so worth it in the end.  You deserve to be healthy and mobile and have a full and rich life.  WLS is being proactive for yourself!

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

3DogLover
on 10/23/13 9:38 am

It's totally normal to get nervous when the date is set and the closer you get to that date.

I will tell you my family was worried for me and didn't want me to do it but now my father (he was the most concerned) says it's the best thing I could have done.  My sister wanted me to do the band but now seeing how well I'm doing and not having the problems her friends have with the band is just too happy I chose the sleeve.  I'm sure you have done your research and there is a reason you decided to do this - keep it in mind.

Others at work, I listened to them and was polite but walked away and let what they said leave my head immediately.  They were not in my shoes and didn't know what was best for ME.

About vomiting, I only did this once due to eating left over salmon that was too dry and a couple times when I had a stomach bug. Let me tell you, for me throwing up is so much less violent.  I don't know if this is true for others but it seems I have the same saliva produced when I need to vomit and it just happens with ease.  This sounds so weird I know but I am thrilled with this.

kentj
on 10/23/13 12:25 pm

Christina, I just had surgery on 10/14 and have to tell you, I've sailed through it.  One day of nausea from the knock out chemicals/drugs for surgery and smooth sailing ever since.  I am considered a lightweight (under 200# since lost 30# pre-op diet).  At 5'4" tall, with several co-morbidities, it was imperative for my health to have WLS

.  Had first f/u appt. with my surgeon today, and he can't believe how well his 65 year old patient is doing.  You will eat "real" food again, just a lot less of it.  If you should have nausea problems, there are great medicines for that now.  The experience, for all my fears, as maybe 1/10th as bad as I thought it would be.  I've also lost 17# in two weeks.  Got put on mushy food today .... yay!  Applesauce never tasted so good.  It is a journey we will be on the rest of our lives, but I've finally learned to eat to live, not live to eat.  Follow your own best interest for your health.  I don't think others mean to frighten us, they are just uninformed.  Stop listening to the nay-sayers, and do what's right for you.  Best of luck.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Member Services
on 10/23/13 2:06 pm - Irvine, CA

Here is some information that we hope is helpful.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/do-i-really-need-surgery -to-lose-the-weight/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/mind-matters-personal-bo undaries/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/surgery-is-not-the-easy- way-out-a-bariatric-surgeons-perspective/

Some second guessing is normal as the surgery date approaches.  Be true yourself, no one else walks in your shoes.

Best wishes.

donnamy3sons
on 10/23/13 4:42 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

totally off subject but how did you find out you had ovarian cancer, did you have any symptoms? I ask because I am having some issues with a constant dull ache, burning type sensation on my left side around my ovary as well as aching and throbbing of my thigh and back on the same side. just curious how you found out, we are around the same age.

good luck with your surgery btw you will do fine:)

cjr721
on 10/23/13 9:10 pm - Spring Brook Township, PA

My husband and I were trying to have another child, so when it came time for my annual, the doc said he felt something, probably a cyst.  I was sent for an ultrasound, and it was confirmed a cyst, or so they thought.  The doc put me on Lupron shots to shrink it (which sent me into a chemical menopause).  After the second shot, I demanded an ultrasound to see if the 'cyst' was shrinking.  He examined me first and said he had trouble feeling around in there and said it was probably gas.  Oh, rewind, at the yearly I asked him why I looked like I was 9 months pregnant and he told me, probably because you've been pregnant and gave birth twice (my daughter was stillborn at 23 weeks).   Back to story, After the exam where he had a hard time feeling aroound, I was sent for an ultrasound, to which the tech said, ma'am, that's not gas, you are filled with fluid.  After going home, I get a call, from his office to go to the ER asap.  They did a CT scan and my 'cyst' turned out to be 16 cm and then they drew a CA-125 blood test which was 1799.  Sorry this was so long, there's more, but this is all I'll bore you with for now.  I had no 'symptoms'.  You can email me at anytime.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/24/13 2:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Bottom line: "my body, my health, my choice." If they don't approve of surgery, they don't have to have one!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views