GUM GUM GUM CHEW CHEW CHEW

rissa1224
on 10/29/13 1:22 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Ok so I (still) have a hard time with wanting to snack. I decided towards the end of last week that my new thing will be to chew gum between meals. It has helped me so much!! I know it has only been since Thursday but it helps!! I want to eat my lunch right now 1. because I made a bangin cold cut lunch with my new addiction- banana peppers-  and 2. because I have that urge to eat/chew/swallow- but I know I choose not to eat until after 12pm. Also, I just had a snack!

Chewing the gum helps. I know it's extra calories blah blah but you know what? Its gum NOT FOOD.

Peace, love, and death to unnecessary snacking!

G5x5
on 10/29/13 1:37 am - VA

I used ice.  At home the refrigerator gave me crushed ice, and at work I have access to a machine that gives out small ice bits that are easy to crunch.  I'm sure the dentist doesn't appreciate any of this, but crushed ice, with a little MIO thrown in for flavor, got me through the first couple of months.

Eventually, I shifted to water, stopped crunching, and dropped the MIO.  Now it's straigh****er everyday.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Nikke2003
on 10/29/13 1:41 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I drink like crazy. But not just plain water, I drink tasty stuff - Propel Zero!! OMG, I'm addicted to it. So when I'm fighting the head hunger or boredom, I drink for the taste and to fill myself up. Really helps with the fluid intake too lol...  yesterday I was at 127 oz or something like that!

Needless to say, I spend half of my day peeing.... lol

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Keith L.
on 10/29/13 1:47 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I chew gum a lot and I agree it does help. Just make sure it is sugar free gum otherwise you are going to blow any shot at ketosis that you are looking for. Also I didn't have this problem in the beginning but I do now, when chew gum I do get a fair amount of air in my stomach. Also those sugar alcohols do ferment in your gut and will cause gas. So keep that in mind.

But I agree that gum helps. Just remember you are getting 2 to 4 carbs per piece depending on the gum so if you suddenly see your weight loss coming to a halt check to make sure that you are not chewing 4 packs of gum per day.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

rissa1224
on 10/29/13 1:49 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

As always, you're the best. It is sugar free. I only have 2 or 3 a day (3 if I work my night job for 4+hours). I only had 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday. I do occasionally feel a tad burpy. I will kieep an eye out for too much of that. I wont go over 4 pieces a day- even that is a lot. But between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner helps. Or at Job2 after dinner before I get home to pass out for the night helps. Occasionally.

Shagdoll
on 10/29/13 2:13 am

I hear ya!  I have also resorted to chewing gum to keep my mouth busy at times.  I don't do it everyday but about twice a week.  It does help!! 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

danixbanani
on 10/29/13 2:17 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I hate gum, it bothers my teeth!  I go for sugar free sucky candies like lifesavers.  :)

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Nancybefree
on 10/29/13 3:07 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Like Nikke, I drink between my meals.  Fortunately I still have it stuck in my head that I can't eat and drink at the same time -- that's saved me more than once.  Hot/warm seems to work better for that than cold in my sleeve, so I have lots of hot tea (sometimes with Truvia and sugar, but usually plain), sometimes plain ho****er (yeah, blech, but better than binging, and Keith's wise words have encouraged me to cut back on my caffeine), and will be adding low-sodium chicken broth back into my plan for the first time since early postop days.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Gail D.
on 10/29/13 3:25 am

My education class said don't chew gum, only because it would be very bad if you inadvertently swallowed it.

Just passing that on.

readytobemeagain
on 10/29/13 4:08 am

I was told NO GUM after surgeryindecision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views