Questions for VSG veterans

Loaf
on 10/30/13 2:07 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask you all some questions.  I hang out in the Ontario Board, and 98% of the members there have had RNY or DS  (This is the standard in Canada, and have to push to get a VSG)   My plan is to push for the VSG because of some other health issues that Mal-absorption and de-hydration would cause me a great deal of Death.   

Basically, from all the research I have done,   VSG is making great strides as being a standard option for WLS.  I have also researched and discovered that one of the main reasons that it is not the standard in Ontario, is because of the ‘Reported’ weight gain 4-7 years down the road whereas the RNY does not seem to have the same level of potential weight gain.

I was hoping that some Long term VSG’ers could fill me in

Have you put weight on, if so why.  Are you able to re-start with the 7 day pouch test?

Did you reach your Goal or get less then goal

After a few years, are you able to once again continually over eat?  (I am aware of slider foods, but referring to normal healthy foods)

I also have a million more nutritional related questions but those can weight  (HAHHA)

Thanks in advance.

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/13 2:42 am

Can you post any studies that show this gain?  Yes, there is regain, but it is about the same as reported with VSG.  I would love to see anything that you had that showed differently.  I can't find it in the literature at all.

Loaf
on 10/30/13 2:48 am - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

Elina,

Please do not think i am trying to start any kind of uprising,  My comments where only based on the information that i was able to obtain from doing exhaustive searches on Google, in addition to the information provided to me by our "Centers of excellence"  in Canada, and only referring to the reason that RNY is is being used as the Standard  (Which is covered by UHC)

My questions that i did post where honest questions that i have, that i am not able to find succinct answers to.

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/13 2:51 am

That is exactly as I read it, no uprising intended.  :)  I love reading journal articles and my request was genuine, not antagonistic in the slightest.  If there is such research out there, I would want to read it.  I don't think it's there, but I could be wrong.   Sometimes it's hard to read "tone" in a post.  :)

Shagdoll
on 10/30/13 2:49 am, edited 10/30/13 2:50 am

I was hoping that some Long term VSG’ers could fill me in

Here are my answers kiss

Have you put weight on, if so why.  Are you able to re-start with the 7 day pouch test?

Yes, I have put on a total of 30 pounds in regain & I am 2+ years out.  I am working on getting rid of it & am almost 1/2 way there.  No, I have not tried the pouch test.  I'd prefer to just get back in weight loss mode but going back to approx. 800 calories, carbs 20-40 grams a day... oh, and at least 70 grams of protein.

Did you reach your Goal or get less then goal

I got to my 1st goal but didn't lose more to allow for bounce-back.  That is a regret of mine but I plan to get there the 2nd time around.

After a few years, are you able to once again continually over eat?  (I am aware of slider foods, but referring to normal healthy foods)

Well, I am only almost 2 1/2 years out but yes you can overeat anything at this point.  Of course slider foods are very easy but even good foods.  I can eat 5 ounces of dense chicken breast (but that is overeating, feeling too stuffed, etc.).  I know that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things but depending on how often one can eat, snack or graze, it's very possible.  But even with that said, I can still be very satisfied on eating 1 hard boiled egg or 1 serving of greek yogurt for breakfast.

I also have a million more nutritional related questions but those can weight  (HAHHA)  LOL!!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

laurak712
on 10/30/13 5:14 am - New Braunfels, TX
Hi there, old timer here! To answer your question, no I haven't gained weight and from what I read on the boards, the reason people do gain weight is that they quit eating the way they should be. It really is that simple. You get what you give.

I am way below my original goal and I cannot continually overeat without feeling awful. So I just don't do it. It sucks to feel sick after meals, lol.

Also, I exercise quite a bit but I did that long before surgery so it's not been a problem for me to just keep it up. Good luck moving forward!

Laura
P.S. I'll be 5 years out in January

Height 5' 7

laurak712
on 10/30/13 5:20 am - New Braunfels, TX
So as you see, my experiences are very different from Shagdoll's. I can most definitely not eat 5oz of dense protein at a meal. You will get many different responses especially since this surgery is really not standardized.

Laura

Height 5' 7

laurak712
on 10/30/13 5:23 am - New Braunfels, TX
So as you see, my experiences are very different from Shagdoll's. I can most definitely not eat 5oz of dense protein at a meal. You will get many different responses especially since this surgery is really not standardized.

Laura

Height 5' 7

VeraG
on 10/30/13 5:35 am - Bonner Springs, KS
I'm 3 1/2 years out and I have not gained any weight back. I still stick mostly to my original program. If I think I'm getting off, I just start tracking intake again. Yes, I can over eat if I choose, but I will still throw up the extra if my stomach decides to reject it. So I don't do it. Like previously said, you get what you give.

Living until I die!

jimbovsg
on 10/30/13 8:23 am

From what I have seen on these boards and IRL...(have many friends with RNY)  there seems to be some regain with the RNY (years post op being equal 2-6 years)  More than what I see with my sleeve buddies. Anecdotal evidence at best........I am 4+ years out....have regained 10lbs or so in the last year (multiple foot surgeries) so of the 350lbs I had lost...I have regained about 10lbs..... I'm ok with it  Lol!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views