3 Day Post Op

Wicked_Flame
on 11/28/13 2:44 am

Happy Thanksgiving OH! I am so thankful for several things this day, I don't even know where to begin so that will be a separate post.

I had my surgery Monday 11/25/2013 at 7:30am. Everything went as scheduled and like clock work. I was sedated and wheeled into the OR at 7:20am and left out of recovery at 9:30am. I was told the surgery would be 105 minutes long and apparently it was only 45 minutes. I barely remember seeing the Dr in recovery but I do remember telling him he couldn't have done surgery because I felt GREAT!

I was wheeled upstairs at 9:30am and by 11am, I felt a little nauseous but not too bad. Prior to surgery Dr Johnson had prescribed Emend for me and I took it while in the waiting room. The nurse put an anti nausea patch behind my ear and I took a sublingual anti nausea pill as well BEFORE surgery. I didn't feel nauseous before and just a tiny bit around 11am. I was highly motivated not to spend the night so the nurse gave me the sublingual and warned me if I vomited I would spend the night. Fortunately, I didn't! I went home at 1 pm. I have not vomited once. My pain is limited to my incisions and is very manageable. I am able to tolerate my protein shakes and water. I can sleep well and move well. The only problems that I have is getting up from a reclining position- I feel like a turtle flipped on its back. It is challenging to get up but I can do it. My energy level is good however I do get tired occasionally.

All in All, a FANTASTIC experience and I look forward to being on the losers bench!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

VSG on 06/12/13
Sounds like you are doing great. Congratulations and happy Thanksgiving.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Sandy M.
on 11/28/13 7:43 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

And it only gets better from here!  Welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Miss150
on 11/28/13 9:59 am

Take care, be gentle with yourself- this time is recovery time- not a race- let your body direct- move around some, get lots of rest, sip liquids as you can--Sounds like you are doing wonderfully!  Welcome!!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

playgirl
on 11/28/13 11:18 am - boston, MA
VSG on 11/19/13

wow, congrats!  i'm day 9 post op.  i was totally out of it on my surgery day AND day 1.   i wasn't even able to get out of bed without assistance on day 1.  i was concerned that i might not be able to go home on day 2 because i couldn't get out of bed unassisted, but what a difference a day makes!  i got out of bed the morning of day 2 unassisted and have been getting substantially better each day.  there was no way i could have gone home on the day of surgery.  you're a trooper!

highest weight: 350; surgery weight: 339; doc's goal: 230; my goal: 150

weight loss:  pre-op: -11  M1: -19.2  M2: -9.4  M3: -7.2  M4:

Wicked_Flame
on 11/28/13 9:49 pm

Thank you PlayGirl! Everyone is different and heals differently. It definitely gets better and better every day. If I didn't have the incisions and have seen the pounds coming off, I would definitely believe that the surgeon didn't do the surgery. I guess the reason I am so amazed is because I had liposuction TWICE (18 months apart) and the recovery each time was HORRENDOUS.  I was in excruciating  pain, vomitting and could barely move for weeks. It was the most painful thing I have ever done. I thought that removing part of a body organ would result in that pain times 10.

I hope your recovery continues to improve. I hope you agree that this is the most loving and healthful decision anyone could for themselves. Good Luck!

DKD250
on 11/28/13 11:03 pm

I had my surgery Monday at 7;30.  I find it amazing you went home one day out. I was up and walking pretty fast, but the pain meds did not agree with me made me appreciate the extra day.  The whole process reminds me of the last stretch of pregnancy: watching my water, no lifting, rolling out of bed, etc.  I am happy to see each day I wake up everything is a little easier. The only discomfort is in one of my incisions and that is when I try to bend.  How are you handling all the vitamins?  I could get a few down yesterday but not all the recommended.  Good luck!!!

Wicked_Flame
on 11/29/13 12:54 pm

@DKD My Dr and NUT don't have me on vitamins until week 2. I am kind of concerned that I am doing so well. I actually was able to go Black Friday shopping for a few hours today. I am tolerating everything and haven't had any issues except occasional soreness from my incisions. I am seriously wondering if the Dr did the surgery. I don't say that to seem boastful or to diminish others experiences. It has been pretty smooth sailing and it concerns me that the first week has been too easy. I start soft foods and vitamins Monday. It may be a new ballgame then. Honestly, I think I would rather have a few problems in the beginning and have each day be better and better than to have an easy time and then a relapse. I am trying to keep in prespective that I just had major surgery and to pace myself. When I don't, that's when I will get in trouble. I haven't experienced Head Hunger yet however while watching a movie tonight, I yearned/mourned for a piece of pizza that was in one of the scenes. I don't think I will be able to be around pizza for a awhile. It will trigger some emotional responses.

I hope everyone heals well and can adapt to this new lifestyle! It helps to have OH!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 119 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 350 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 400 views