VS and reflux ?? for everyone

krabbyhermit
on 11/29/13 2:34 am

I have about a month to go before my surgery and I'm still in a quandry.

I had to have surgery 15 yrs ago for reflux because it was so bad.  I have the choice of VS or RNY.  I'm about 90 lbs overweight, and am a bit reluctant to have the RNY for fear of losing too much, too fast. 

If you have had the VS, how far out post op are you and do you have heartburn or reflux issues? How bad is it? 

I would prefer to have the VS, but am afraid I'll have reflux and end up having to have a 2nd surgery to correct it. 

Thanks for your help and WTG!! You guys all look amazing!

Nikke2003
on 11/29/13 3:06 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13
I believe it is fairly common to experience reflux after surgery which is why most people take a PPI. However, it isn't a given. I had surgery a little over 6 months ago and I do not have reflux (and I don't take a PPI)!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/13 5:45 am

i take a ppi twice a day and have no issues.  however, during the first 1.5 weeks post-op (as the medication was still beginning to work) i had a horrible time.  

i don't really care if i have to take the ppi for the rest of my life. it would a very very tiny issue in relations to getting my overall health back.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/29/13 6:29 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I am 14 months out from VSG and hiatal hernia repair. I was on a PPI for six weeks after surgery not for reflux but for healing of the stomach lining. I have not had any issues with heart burn or reflux apart from a couple of times when I ate too close to bed time and probably too much or the wrong stuff. But no, it isn't something that everyone experiences. It isn't something the doctors can predict either.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Sandy M.
on 11/29/13 8:05 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I had horrible reflux prior to surgery, which came on sometime after I had my lap band placed 7 years ago.  My VSG surgeon warned me that VSG can make reflux work for people that have it prior to surgery, and that RNY is suggested as a revision to VSG in order to cure the reflux.  Since we (rightly) guessed that my reflux was due to a hernia my band had caused, I took the risk and went for VSG.  I was on a PPI for 6 months to assist in the healing process.  I've been off the PPI for about a month now - found myself having to take it 3 times when the familiar reflux symptoms showed up, but nowhere near what it was like prior to surgery.

Talk to your surgeon, do your research, and make the best decision for you for the long run!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

krabbyhermit
on 11/29/13 9:08 am

Thanks for your replies. My GERD was so bad that a tiny bite of ketchup on a french fry would set me on fire! I couldn't even LOOK at orange juice or I would get heartburn!  :) I had the Nissen surgery, and haven't had any reflux  since. I just don't want it to come back. 

Another concern of mine is not taking NSAIDS.  I've had headaches for 45 years and while I don't often take Ibuprofen for them, I do take it sometimes. 

Ugh! I've read so much stuff, but can't really make a decision unless I hear from those that have been there and done that. 

N

In all my days ahead I vow to be kind to myself. This shall also be a new and exciting experience. 

mkvand
on 11/29/13 9:15 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I had never heard of the nissen surgery before. It looks interesting, but I have no idea how it would work with VSG.  As for the NSAIDS, many, but not all, surgeons are ok with VSG patients taking NSAIDS.  There are also some NSAIDS less likely to irritate your stomach than others. RNYers are not supposed to take NSAIDS ever, although I'm sure some do anyway.

krabbyhermit
on 11/30/13 4:35 am

The surgeon will have to un-wrap my Nissen before I can have the bypass of any kind. This not only adds complications to the surgery, but leaves me at risk for reflux. I still take reflux meds every day.   

TurnThePage
on 11/29/13 9:26 am

Having had RNY, I do not understand your worry about losing too much too fast with RNY. That makes no sense whatsoever. 

People who have RNY tend to lose their excess weight a little sooner than people with VS, but it's not like we magically deflate. LOL  We still have to carefully monitor our intake and exercise and work hard to get the excess pounds off. Everyone loses at a different rate depending on their food and activity levels. Men and people who are heavier tend to lose weight more quickly than others. I think the overall average weight loss difference between RNY and VS  is about 5%. 

Perhaps if you can explain this fear of yours a bit more, we can give you a better answer. 

krabbyhermit
on 11/30/13 4:31 am

The question is..... have you had a vertical sleeve and do you have heartburn?   That's all I want to know. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views