Post Op Recovery

Donna3397
on 12/2/13 1:48 am
VSG on 12/18/13

Hello everyone.  I am new to this site.  I will be having my VSG surgery on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 and I would like to know how long the recovery for this surgery will be.  I know that everyone is different and that their recovery will take different periods of time.  I would just like to know the general consensus of how long it took you to recover and return to work.

Thank you :)

Nikke2003
on 12/2/13 2:20 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

If I had to, I could've returned to work after a week. Actually, one week post-op, I did attend a 4 hour professional development class. Unless I'm teaching a class, I have a fairly sedentary job though. I was only on pain killers for around 3 days.

I think after 3 weeks all of the pain and soreness went away - with the exception of the casual sharp pain I would get in one incision site... or a muscle spasm. The recovery, for me, was VERY easy compared to some that I've seen... I was VERY lucky for some reason.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Donna3397
on 12/2/13 2:27 am
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you for the congrats.  I am sooo looking forward to surgery so that I can live a healthier life.

G5x5
on 12/2/13 2:22 am - VA

The rest of your life, because that is what this is, a process that has to be managed for the rest of your life....

However, the surgery part takes about a week.  If all goes well, you'll have some mild, and easily controllable pain, on day one that improves with each day.  I was only in the hospital one night, only took the pain prescriptions for one day after, and never took any of the other other prescriptions.  Within just a couple days it's likely you'll be fairly mobile and able to do most of the things you're used to doing.

But to take the two weeks recommended for recovery if possible.  While it's not the same as recovery from say a knee surgery,the time does allow you focus on what's necessary without all the distractions of work, etc.  You need to stay hydrated, get your protein, and do some mild walking routinely.  Cover those bases and you're good to go.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Donna3397
on 12/2/13 2:30 am
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you for your reply.  I do understand that this surgery is a change in my lifestyle to a healthier lifestyle and it will effect me for the rest of my life.  I have heard anywhere from four (4) weeks to eleven (11) weeks for recovery from some people.  Reading on here, I have read that some people have returned to work within a week's time.  I like to read about the various time limits in hopes of being off work for just two (2) weeks.  

shart4
on 12/2/13 2:41 am - TX

I had VSG surgery on the 21st of November and had a full days work along with errands on Nov. 25. I never had any stomach pain or even incision pain. Good luck to you! 

Donna3397
on 12/2/13 2:44 am
VSG on 12/18/13

WOW!!!  I am really hoping that I can get back to work quick also.  Thank you :)

megsmatilda
on 12/2/13 4:08 am
He told me two weeks off of work.however since I work with special needs and on a no.lifting of 30 or plus lbs. I can't go.back.till the 9th. My surgery was the 8th...I had pain until the 25th. It was bad until the 23 though. However he did have to do a bit my surgery on me to remove scar tissues that were connecting my organs together (shouldn't be) so anyway I'm doing great and have lost almost 30 lbs in 2 weeks...
Donna3397
on 12/2/13 4:23 am
VSG on 12/18/13

Oh wow.  I'm sorry to hear about the pain.  Congratulations on losing 30 lbs in 2 weeks!!! 

mickeymantle
on 12/2/13 2:40 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you will probably be tired for 2-3 weeks , no lifting of more than 10 lb for 6 weeks

till your on solid foods (2 weeks on my plan) diarrhea is common , and after constipation is common till you get more fiber in your system and or figure out when to take laxatives

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 100 views