Crack Slaw Hash

Sandy M.
on 12/17/13 1:45 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

No, I don't have a picture - I could never match the beauty of Frisco's photos!  

In addition to Elina's Green Chicken Soup, "Crack Slaw" is mentioned a lot on this site.  Google it and you'll find several different versions (mine follows), but they all seem to have in common coleslaw mix and ground beef.  Excellent on it's own, and I thought it looked a little similar to Corned Beef Hash, so added a fried egg on top (poached would be just as delicious).  I LOVE adding an egg to almost anything - a Caesar salad with a warm poached egg on top is sooo good, with the warm gooey egg yolk mixing with the cold greens.  I make my Caesar with baked Prosciutto and baked Parmesan Crisps.  

Here's my revised recipe for Crack Slaw - my favorite taste is the vinegar, so I add much more than the original recipe calls for.  The original recipe only called for 1/2 t., so play around with the sauce until you get it to where you want it to be.

1 lb. ground beef

Salt and pepper

2 T. toasted sesame oil

3-4 garlic cloves, minced

4-5 green onions, sliced

14 oz. coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage

2 T. low sodium soy sauce

1 t. Sriracha sauce

1 (1g) Spenda quick pack

1/2 t. fresh minced ginger (just throw the ginger root in the freezer and you can use it for months)

Up to 1/4 c. Rice Wine Vinegar (any vinegar will do, but I like the Asian taste)

Directions:

Brown the ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Remove from the pan and set aside. Drain the oil and wipe the pan.

Heat up the sesame oil over medium to medium high heat and saute the garlic, onions, and slaw until cooked to desired tenderness.  Stir in the soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, Splenda, ginger, and vinegar.  Add the ground beef, heat, mix well, and serve.  If making Crack Slaw Hash, poach or fry an egg and serve on top of the Crack Slaw.

Enjoy!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Jackie T.
on 12/17/13 1:51 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I love me some "Crack Slaw" and they are right it is addicting!  I actually brought some for lunch today.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Sandy M.
on 12/17/13 1:52 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I know Jackie - your post made me remember to post the "hash" idea finally!  LOL!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

isign4u
on 12/17/13 1:56 am
Can't wait until I can add veggies back to my diet. This sounds amazing! I love vinegar!
"One mistake does not a day make"        
Cathy K.
on 12/17/13 2:07 am

haven't had it in a while, got to make some.

LosingSarah
on 12/17/13 6:16 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I've heard about this a lot on this site but haven't tried it yet. Sounds good. Although I eat spicy food daily I cannot stand the flavor of Sriracha. It's just heat and no flavor. I use the chili paste made by the same company and Sriracha or Cholula hot sauce.

Your version has an Asian flare so I'm gonna try it with the chili paste one of these days soon.

Most Active