three days Post op

BlueKitty
on 12/20/13 9:15 pm - CA
VSG on 12/18/13

I am three days post op and have a few question for vets.

1) Did anyone experience low blood pressure after surgery and before surgery it was high blood pressure and was taking meds for it?

2) Did anyone have orange pee and if so how long did it last?

3) I don't seem to be able to go number two or pass gas and feel like my lower half is a tight as a balloon and if you did how long did it take to go away and what made it go away?

4) anyone have a swollen hand after coming home at IV site with trouble using it and if did what did you do to help it get back to normal size?

I know this is long post I hope not too long.  Thank you in advance to those who choose to respond.

Sandy M.
on 12/20/13 10:32 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I'm not a vet, but perhaps I can still help?  Low blood pressure, check.  If you're on meds for blood pressure or swelling, ask your doctor if you should discontinue them for awhile.  If not (I wasn't, and still got dizzy with low blood pressure), be assured that it does goes away.  It's your body's reaction to rapid weight loss.

Orange pee is a sign of dehydration unless you're taking a medicine that can make it turn orange.  Focus on getting in your fluids right now - the protein can come later, but you do not want to get dehydrated.  If the orange pee continues you may have to go to the ER for fluids.

The gas you're feeling is from the surgery - they pump gas into your abdominal cavity so they can see the stomach better.  Walking as much and as often as you can will help to reabsorb that gas into your tissues.  That's why you'll hear us say "walk and sip, walk and sip".  Constipation is also normal, especially if you're still taking pain meds.  Miralax is a good stool softener I use - some folks use it every day to stay regular.

Swollen hand - yep, I sure did.  It was the most painful part of my surgery!  In my case, the swelling lasted a month, but did eventually go away.  Try a warm washcloth on the site for the discomfort.

And finally...welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Annievvho
on 12/20/13 11:26 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Everything Sandy said, except Miralax is a laxative, not a stool softener. You can use Miralax, a lot of people do, but if you want a stool softener, Colace is your best option.

My issue with constipation lasted almost 3 weeks, but then it was done. 

Sandy M.
on 12/20/13 11:32 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

You're right Annie - sorry if I misled anyone.  But MiraLax has been easier on me than the normal laxative I used to take, which caused a lot of cramping.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Annievvho
on 12/20/13 11:56 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

It's no problem, just wanted to clarify. Miralax is the only laxative that is considered suitable for daily use, and it doesn't usually cause a lot of cramping like other laxatives do.

BlueKitty
on 12/21/13 1:35 am - CA
VSG on 12/18/13

thank you for the helpful words and I will try the warm wash cloth and miralax

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views