FURIOUS!

stoutts
on 1/5/14 9:14 am

So actually, I'm better now....I spent 6 months back and forth with my PCP and surgeon's office trying to get paperwork completed and off to insurance company. Finally got everything done and w/in less than two weeks I was approved and scheduled for surgery. This is awesome.I wanted to do this over winter break (college student) and was excited to finally get started...except I wasn't prepared mentally. All the time leading up to surgery I was excited to get the band removed and have the sleeve done and then it was done and I was on liquids and I was PISSED!  All I could think of was what the heck have I done?  Couple of weeks have gone by now and reality has settled and I am actually happy but did anyone else get this sense of what the **** did I just do?

kellma699
on 1/5/14 9:18 am
VSG on 02/04/14
I am pre op. I was hoping to get the sleeve done over winter break too. Anyway, probably won't happen for s few more weeks. I am anticipating a freak out about it after it's done from everything I've read/heard it is completely normal.
(deactivated member)
on 1/5/14 9:22 am - Canada

I think most of us have that "what did I just do?" feeling.  Hard not to when you feel awful and can't go to your comfort place and eat.  I have felt that on and off for the last 13 days.  I know it will pass but also allow myself the feeling.  This is hard and we have the right to mourn the losses and celebrate the victories.  For those that want to say we took the easy way out...they have no idea about how hard it is.

Cassiodals
on 1/5/14 11:58 am

I agree.  My surgery was December 30, 2013.  I have been crying.  When I'm not crying, I am depressed. Women sometimes get depressed d/t fact their uterus is gone. I am depressed because my stomach is gone.  I am afraid. I am a believer of mind over matter....thus I keep telling myself one day at a time.  I try to picture myself slim in June.

i have a wonderful support system.  My sons have been great.  My husband has been unreal.  My brother has been always been positive so I have been getting all kinds of sayings from him.  "inch by inch life's a cinch.  Yard by yard life's hard. ". My dad turned 99 in December.  He tells me he is proud of me and how brave I am.

We are brave, aren't we?  We did this for our health as well as increased self esteem.  So we can cheer each other on as we see positive results.  OK?  As far as easy way out.... who would go through this pain?  Not many.

kb35
on 1/5/14 9:25 am

yes, i askedit when i came out of surgery cause the pain was so intense. i know it is going to be so worth it in the long run though.did u have those feelings with band.

stoutts
on 1/5/14 9:38 am

thanks all!  I've settled down a little and honestly part of it may have been because I did it right before Christmas and while the rest of my family is enjoying Christmas dinner I'm completely detesting my protein drink. Now that I'm on to softs it has gotten to be manageable so hopefully the rest of the road will be a little easier to traverse!

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/14 9:38 am
Revision on 01/07/14

Haha - I am on the first day of my 2 day pre-op and having some of those feelings!   I had the band 8 years ago and had to do a two week liquid pre-op and I do not remember exactly how long after but I am sure at least two-three weeks.  I am wondering how I did it!  It is no joke to not be able to eat actual food!  

How was your surgery/recovery?

stoutts
on 1/5/14 9:47 am

Surgery was fine-did take a little longer because of all the connective tissue around the band. Had it done 4 years ago. A little extra sore from wrangling it out but other than that-nothing I couldn't manage.  Didn't even finish all my pain meds. Had surgery about 7:30 am took about 1 1/2 hours, was up by 8:00 that night to go to bathroom and start walking. Only walked 1 round around the floor then but starting at 3:00 am I started doing 4 rounds around about every three hours. Feel great, have most of my strength back, still loose on the bowel end (probably from all liquids) but tolerating a couple of oz of soft foods. It is hard to try to get in all the water and liquid protein. My surgeon wanted 2 weeks of liquids. 60 oz of protein, 60 oz of water, and 60 minutes of walking.

You've got this if you've already done the band.  I just needed to mentally prepare and didn't do it.

Scribbles
on 1/5/14 10:08 am - Canada
VSG on 12/05/13

I am one month post-op today, and I thought I was totally prepared for the surgery.  My medical team told me how sure they were of me, that I've been ready for months and they have no worries that I'll be just fine...I was lucky and didn't have any pre-op diet because of how much weight I lost during the program.  So I have the procedure done and when I get home and realize that I can't take more than a mouthful of water at once, I was ANGRY.  I have been angry on more than one occasion during this past month!  I have asked myself numerous times what in the world have I done, how was I not prepared for this??  Being on clear fluids for two weeks post-op and then full fluids for another two...WHAT THE HELL?  I KNEW that's how it would be but I never actually sat down and thought about just how difficult it would be for someone who loves food as much as I do.  Now I'm on the pureed stage, finally able to EAT, and what annoys me now is just how pathetic the amount I can eat is!  Don't get me wrong, I don't go around feeling like this all the time, but I'm finding it hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I can only eat half of a scrambled egg.  I think if the scale were moving faster I'd be happier, but I know that I wasn't quite as prepared as I thought I was! Each day gets easier though!

stoutts
on 1/5/14 10:50 am

I'm glad you are at least a month in and able to eat some egg. Have I mentioned how sick I am of eggs, cheese, and beans? Hahaha!  Congrats to you for heading in the right direction. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who wasn't prepared. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views