6 week update

Kvp1029
on 2/11/14 4:21 am
Revision on 12/28/13

So I've posted some freak out posts lately about thinking my surgery didn't work and all sorts of stuff.  I saw my surgeon yesterday and we did a swallow test.  There it was, a small stomach.  One major problem I'm having is constipation.  He gave me something to clean me out and said to take milk of magnesia everyday until I have a BM everyday.  Second he said that he only expects me to lose 5 lbs a month.  Thi**** me like a ton of bricks.  I was expecting the weight loss I had when I was first sleeved.  Dr said I was on such low calories for 7 years that my body got used to the calorie deficit, so it's just going to take a longer time.  I can't lie, I'm so discouraged.  5 lbs a month is not shabby, but it takes the hope of months with 10-15 lb loses off the table.  It's crazy to me that my body is used to running at 400-600 calories.  

Phil M.
on 2/11/14 4:27 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 12/20/13

When I was at Weigh****chers years ago, my group leader said "your body is going to let the weight go when it is good and ready". You might lose at the 5lb a month rate, or faster, who knows? Just keep doing what is right, stay positive, and the rest will take care of itself.

"I don't know, only God knows where the story ends for me, but I know where the story begins." - Mary J. Blige

M1: -32 M2: -19 M3: -18 M4: -16 M5: -10

G5x5
on 2/11/14 4:40 am - VA

What do you mean by "swallow test"?

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Kvp1029
on 2/11/14 7:15 am
Revision on 12/28/13

Swallow some type of contrast and have X-ray or whatever type of imaging machine they use.  Highlighted espogus, stomach and maybe intestine

edelu
on 2/11/14 4:55 am - los angeles, CA

Yes it's quite a shock.  I faced this when i revsed from band to sleeve, many on here have.  i lost 5lbs a month steadily and over a year i lost the 70lbs i had to lose.  It wasn't fun and it was frustrating but the other choice i had was to say "fuck it" and that seemed like a waste of surgery. 

Even people who are first time out and have initial big losses sometimes have trouble when they get to maintenance.  I maintain at 800 cals.  It sucks but I've abused my body so much that my metabolism is where it is, so while it's not fun the alternative sucks bigger.

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/11/14 5:03 am, edited 2/11/14 5:04 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Did you ask your surgeon about the difference between your latest WLS surgery, a gastric plication, versus the sleeve you had and expanded?  It sounds like there were some very important questions that weren't asked prior to this new surgery, particularly in regards to weight loss rate.

I do agree with your surgeon that your metabolic rate has been affected, most of us that have had WLS have had the same issues. Did you ask your surgeon how you can increase that metabolic rate..possibly through exercise or?

Keep your therapist in the loop on what your surgeon said today and the new weight loss rate. I know you're discouraged and that you had different expectations about this latest surgery.  I'm glad that you do have a therapist, though. Eating pizza 2 weeks after the gastric plication is still mind boggling to me and I'm happy to see that you are eating back on plan.

Kvp1029
on 2/11/14 7:23 am
Revision on 12/28/13

Honestly I didn't clarify the weight loss rate.  He said he could fix it and I could get down to goal weight and I didn't ask anything else.  I did know that it was more likely to be a pliation rather than the removal of more stomach cutting for the bigger risk of leaks and stomach complications.  I just assumed weight loss was going to be like before.  Of course I know exercise will help and the surgeon talked about doing some type of activity/exercise everyday.  I'm just bummed about the slow weight loss

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views