Eating makes me miserable

Southjerzjoy
on 2/11/14 10:03 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I look forward to eating because I'm hungry and then I get like 3 bites in and I'm so uncomfortable. I wish I could just skip it and go on with my day but I need to get the protein in to heal its  really making me miserable. It eases up after about a half an hour but then even getting liquids and after that feels yucky.   Any suggestions? Oh and I was sleeved on January 27th. 

kellma699
on 2/11/14 10:26 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

I don't have any suggestions, as I am newly sleeved, (2/4), but I feel your pain. I'm so hungry, then I have my shake, yogurt, soup or jello and then I feel nauseated. I am hoping this will pass soon. I am moving onto purée tomorrow and I'm praying some new flavors will help.

Are you chewing slowly and thoroughly? I know my nut said that food won't settle well unless it is chewed completely.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for and feel better soon.

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

The_True_KayD
on 2/11/14 10:27 pm

What stage are you at? You are about two-three weeks out. I was still on liquids and starting on pureed foods at that time. Maybe you are eating some things that is too early for your new stomach to handle?

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Southjerzjoy
on 2/11/14 10:29 pm, edited 2/11/14 10:30 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I moved to stage III over the weekend. But I even tried going back to soft. cottage cheese and yogurt and the same thing happens. 

onebigcelt
on 2/12/14 12:08 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

It gets better hang in there

The_True_KayD
on 2/11/14 10:40 pm

I have heard that some people don't do well on cottage cheese. The curd can be a bit heavy. I started my Stage 3 slowly. I used cream soups adding unflavored or unjury chicken soup mix protein to it. I also took refried beans and added tomato juice to it. I added some seasonings..It made a creamy type soup that tasted really good. I would stick with that for three days and see how I feel. Despite what we WANT to eat, our new sleeve defines the rules! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

datachick
on 2/11/14 10:54 pm - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

The surgeon's and nutritionist's "schedule" to move to different foods is pie-in-the-sky. Do what feels ok. Try the prilosec etc to alleviate the "starving" feeling. I still drink protein shakes at 15 months out, still experience discomfort and pressure and "starving" etc at times...so it's a constant game of paying attention to how you are feeling with periodic bouts of everything-feeling-good. More of the everything-feeling-good times now, so hang in there. Do whatever you have to do to get the protein in, drink all your water, and be as comfortable as you can be. I think many of us wish we didn't have to eat at all, so we have to break thru that misery and figure out what we have to do to take care of ourselves. keep plugging along...

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

MAchick
on 2/11/14 11:06 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I had surgery the same day as you,  but I'm still on full liquids. I am allowed yogurt and whipped cottage cheese.  When I tried the cottage cheese,  I had a similar feeling.  I can only eat like a tbs or so at a time. I usually take a break then try a little more. I even chew THAT now, though is the consistency of ricotta. Everything I read says chew it to a mush and take tiny bites. Sorry,  that must be a head trip :-/

freckles1973
on 2/11/14 11:29 pm - Canada

You're only 2 1/2 weeks post op! Give it some time. I remember being early out and not wanting to eat at all..it was like a chore. I was uncomfortable with any liquid or pureed food passing through my sleeve. It was pain and discomfort every time. There were some days I forced myself to eat and drink because I knew I had to. It will get better..as you heal and the swelling continues to go down it will get easier :-)

Good Luck!

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

Southjerzjoy
on 2/11/14 11:47 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

Thank you all for being here.  I think I was unrealistic about my recovery from the start to push me thru.....I am looking forward to feeling as normal as possible. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views