Well today didn't quite go as planned

mollz007
on 2/19/14 6:26 am
VSG on 02/20/14

So today was my last day of work. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided I didn't want to tell people about my surgery until I got back. I was just planning on telling people that I was taking a leave of absence for 2 weeks. Well, that didn't quite work out. Somehow, work got out that I was having surgery, and it spread like wildfire. People were freaking out that I was really sick, that the cancer I had when I was a kid was coming back, etc. So I decided ok, I don't know who the blabbermouth is, but now that everyone knows I might as well be honest. I was kind of annoyed for awhile because I really wasn't in the mood t discuss it, and some people didn't push for anything more when I said it was a "minor" (not really actually, but it makes it sound less scary for them_ surgery. Most people didn't push, actually, but the ones who did got the truth. Most people were confused about why I wanted to have it and some people even asked me if I really wanted to do this. Most people hadn't heard of the sleeve and thought I was having the bypass, so I tried to explain what the sleeve was. They were all glad I wasn't having the bypass. Anyway, I hope I helped some people learn about it and correct any stereotypes they might have. At the end of the day, I was really touched and felt really lucky that I have coworkers that care about me so much.

Now all that's left to do is pack for the hospital. I'm really not that nervous at all. Mostly I'm glad to finally have this done, and be done with this god awful pre op diet. My protein shakes will taste a lot better when I can mix things with them like juice and yogurt. Also, the other day I went to Target to pick up some SF jello and I wasn't paying attention and bought SF pudding and it looks soooooo good I really want to eat it!

check out my blog!

mustlovepoodles
on 2/19/14 6:38 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Sorry your cover got blown. I would have been mad as heck. I decided not to tell ANYONE at work about WLS.  I told my boss I was having major surgery and would need 3 weeks off. I didn't tell him what kind and it's not legal for him to ask, and I told some other people as well.  When I came back, nobody asked at all.  I guess they just assumed that surgery caused the weight loss--if they only knew!  Then I had knee surgery 2 weeks ago (I'm 7 weeks postop--yeah, I've had a busy winter.) When I went back to work this week, several people noticed "how rested" I was and one observed that I looked like I lost weight. I blamed it on not being able to get up to the fridge on my own (I've been no weight bearing for 2 weeks.) They took it at face value and moved on. As time goes on, I plan to just use the tried and true "diet and exercise" line. I figure if they're ballsy enough to ask such a personal question, then I'm ballsy enough to give them half the truth.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

mollz007
on 2/19/14 6:41 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Thanks, I was pretty annoyed. I have no idea how word got out, the only person who knew what kind of surgery I was having was the teacher I work with, and she was home sick today, so I have no clue what happened. It was hard to stay mad because people were genuinely concerned. Oh well, I would rather they know the truth than think I have cancer or something. 

check out my blog!

sleevemama
on 2/19/14 6:40 am
VSG on 04/30/13

Sorry it happened that way but at least your co-workers are more informed and supportive. Best wishes on a new start and a speedy recovery!

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

cappy11448
on 2/19/14 7:09 am

Best of luck with your surgery.  You'll do great, and wait until you see where you are in 6 months or a year.  You'll be so happy.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

maybebaby
on 2/19/14 9:42 am - ID
VSG on 02/21/14

Oh man!  Well, at least it's over with!  Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! Mine is on Friday so I'm right behind you! 

Don't dream it. Be it. 

jlianc
on 2/19/14 10:43 am

I would have been really annoyed also.  I've told only a very few people myself, but I've read some other comments from people who told everyone talking about how they feel more accountable knowing people know and that they feel they are helping remove the stigma of being overweight and of surgery by talking about it.  Hopefully some of your colleagues (especially the ones who ask why would you do this  grrrrrr) will be better educated about this and have a more positive view by knowing you. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 183 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views