Getting all adventurous with food now

mustlovepoodles
on 2/21/14 7:23 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I'm 7.5 weeks post-op and things are going well. I'm allowed pretty much anything now.  I had one pretty bad episode at 3-4 weeks where I ate a meatball and it got stuff, but otherwise everything has gone swimmingly. I've eaten so much fish you'd think I was a pelican.

So, tonight DH really wanted to get some Mexican food. He is sick of seeing and smelling fi****hink.  I managed to not gobble the tortilla chips, although I did nibble on the side of one, and then decided that I really didn't want it.  There was a time when I could scarf up a whole basket of chips and at least 8 ounces of salsa all by myself. DH and I split an order of fajitas, which had steak, chicken, and shrimp plus onions and peppers. It came with refried beans, rice and best of all...guacamole!  Oooooo, I was in heaven.  I put 2 TBS of beans and 2 TBS guac on my plate as my "food floaters" and 1/2 oz each of chicken and steak. The chicken and steak were new foods for me, so I didn't want to over do that. Mmmmm, so yummy...The chicken was soft and moist, the steak was a little tough so I only ate a couple bites, and the shrimp was done perfectly. I used the guac to help the food go down.  What a great meal!  I'm so happy to find that I can still eat at my favorite Mexican restaurant and not feel like I'm cleaning out their fridge. I'm really ashamed to think of how much I used to eat there.  We both ate what we could of this meal and still brought home enough for each of us to have another meal!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

SweetJanee
on 2/21/14 7:33 am
VSG on 03/26/13

That's awesome!! 

I chose shrimp ****tail my first time out. 

Isn't wonderful to be able to say "when"? 

😄

God bless u on your journey. 

trinoc
on 2/21/14 7:49 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I love reading about adaptations and lessons learned.  So much of this post-op adventure is learning how to live within our new limits and knowing that people are doing it...and still experiencing restaurants and favorite foods without overindulging...well, that's so encouraging.

Thank you for sharing.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Machelle.K
on 2/21/14 9:36 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

My sister and I also share a lot with Mexican food, it is very much full of protein. We order 1 dinner with two side plates and eat family style. That way no one looks like an oinker! We had tacos at home tonight :-)

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

elisenacole_1rules
on 2/21/14 9:37 am

sounds like how I imagine ill be! I bought a big bag of large frozen shrimp and threw it into the freezer in anticipation of 'regular' meals again. im planning on plenty of fresh fish and shrimp salad! I thought those would be the easiest to digest before venturing into actual chicken or red meat! :-)

mustlovepoodles
on 2/21/14 10:26 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I still find fish and shrimp to be the easiest "real foods" to eat.  I can eat about 2.5 ounces of fish or 4 shrimp.  If I'm eating both in the same meal, I'll eat a little less fish so I can also have 2 shrimp.  I eat just about everything with what I call a "floater"--a food with the consistency of mashed potatoes which helps the protein go down.   I have used bits of potato, cheese grits, guacamole, and very soft beans, squash or zucchini. I still find onions and mushrooms hard to chew up, but red peppers are awesome!  My doctor has outlawed tomato products and all citrus, much to my disappointment but it's only for 6 months.

Now, if I could get my hands on some cereal I would be a very happy woman. I'm determined to keep my carbs down, so I limit my oatmeal, grits and cream of wheat to one 1/2 cup bowl per week (only one bowl, not one of each.)  But what wouldn't I give for a nice bowl of Cheerios!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views