Hair loss, thinning? Does it grow back??

Susan_04
on 4/2/14 2:19 pm - WI

I am 4 months post op and have really noticed how much my hair is thinning and how much hair I have lost. I have always had thick hair so luckily I dont have to worry about it thinning too much so far ,etc. But Im wondering if there are supplements I can take to get my hair back to what it was, if it will eventually go back to how it used to be, etc. I dont want to have thinner hair, lol, I liked my thick long hair! It is still long but is definitely a lot thinner!

Anyone else have this happen? What did you do? Any suggestions?!?!

Annievvho
on 4/2/14 2:26 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I am also 4 months out, and my hair loss has increased significantly in the last few weeks. This happened to me a couple years ago when I had lost some weight. The doctor told me to take a zinc supplement and biotin. Chances are, you're getting biotin and since in your multi, so you may just want to research some foods that are rich in those vitamins to help with absorption rate. Other than that, wash, style, and handle your hair minimally so as not to encourage breakage or pullout (rather than fallout). And everyone has told me, it grows back. I'm like you, I've always had thick hair, so with warmer weather approaching, I'm pretty ok with a lighter load on top.

Jeannette M.
on 4/2/14 2:29 pm - CA
VSG on 10/22/12

All the hair I lost (regardless of where I lost it) seemed to make a daily pilgrimage to my bathroom floor.  I thought i was going to end up BALD.  It got thin.  It got Dry.  My hairline Receded (only I noticed) and my broom had more hair in it than straw.  But it's back now.  Long, Strong, Shiny and THICK.  I didn't take anything extra.  It's just a thing that happens.  It gets better. 

2003 HW 522lbs - SW (JIB) 511lbs - LW 370lbs   2012 HW 377lbs - SW (VSG) 364lbs - CW 200

Tata64
on 4/2/14 2:58 pm

When did it start growing back? I'm 5 months out and I'm hoping it stops falling it stated at the end of three months. My hair dresser layered it and dyed it dark brown to make it look healthier and full. I had super thick hair and long. Now thin and shoulder length 

cappy11448
on 4/2/14 9:06 pm

Hi,

Hair loss is common after weight loss surgery.  For me it started at 3 months post op and lasted about 3 months. I started using a body foam at about 6 months when it was at its worst.  I noticed lots of new growth around 9 months when I had a crop of short hairs about an inch long sticking straight up!  I was so happy, I didn't worry about how scraggly it looked! (smile) 

I increased my protein and took biotin for months, but I don't think it helped.  It just takes time, and my experience was fairly typical.  By one year, you'll be back to normal. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

themexcellentone
on 4/2/14 9:57 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

My suggestion:  be patient.  Mine is still falling out at and I am nearly 9 months out.  It has slowed down considerably and the hair that is coming back is thicker and more full.  I haven't taken any extra anything because it wouldn't have helped anyway.  My doctor said at my 6-month follow-up that the hair loss would start to taper off at around month 9.  He was right. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

NewNatinIl
on 4/2/14 11:19 pm

i read somewhere that hair folicles respond to what you did 3-4 months prior. I was loosing a lot of hair at 3-5 months. I'm at 6 months post surgery and it seems to have slowed.

I was told, and also read this, to try a biotin supplement and add silica. I wasn't sure about the silica, but biotin I know works to grow nails and worked great as a coat supplement for my horse so I was willing to try it.

I also cut my hair. This seemed to help even the lengths out.  At 6 months, I can see new growth--little wisps everywhere. But it will take time. 

Have faith! It isn't permanent.  

Tracy D.
on 4/2/14 11:25 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you aren't in peri-menopause or post-menopausal your chances are very good that it will slow down around month 7-8 and grow back as good as new and maybe even better.  That hasn't been my experience but I'm an outlier on the hair loss bell-curve, unfortunately.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Melody2
on 4/3/14 1:25 am
VSG on 04/10/13

Absolutely.  It will get worse before it gets better but I promise, it does grow back.  I didn't think so at first and was really worried, especially around month 6.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views