surgery timeframe

Amy M.
on 4/16/14 11:17 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

This question has probably already been asked but I can't find it anywhere. 

Can anyone tell me how long the process takes to get surgery? Please share how long it took you from the moment you began your journey to the actual date of surgery. Were there any complications that slowed you down? Did you have to be on a diet for 6 months? Is there any way to avoid that?

Stacy_WLS
on 4/16/14 11:29 pm

I was self pay.  I first met with my Surgeon on Nov 4th and had surgery on Dec 12th.  This was super speedy -- the timing was pushed due to my work schedule.  

I think most people the process takes at least several months.  If you are going through insurance it can take much longer, but not always (I think).

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Jennifer E.
on 4/16/14 11:42 pm

My dr said usually 3-6 months.  Everything went super fast for me and my insurance approved within 24 hours of receiving request.  No six month diet required.  So from info session to surgery dAy it was only two months for me.

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

VPrincess228
on 4/16/14 11:45 pm
VSG on 02/03/14

I went to the initial seminar in September and had surgery in February.  I didn't have to do a supervised 6 month diet.  But I did have to lose 5% of my body weight prior to surgery and do a bunch of testing, see a psych, etc.  I would have had surgery in January, but my surgeon was on vacation for the whole month of Jan.

LAURA 28 years old  Height: 5' 6 1/2"  HW: 265  SW: 237  CW: 184

M1 -18  M2 -13  M3 -12  M4 -8

Jackie T.
on 4/17/14 12:10 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

A lot depends on whether you are using insurance or not.  Many insurance companies require you to have been in some kind of supervised diet plan for 6 consecutive months and it has to be documented.  I had been to a weight loss doctor for 6 months in the previous 2 years before my surgery so I was able to use that.  There are some doctor's offices that require this anyway because they are wanting to make sure that you can maintain and follow a plan because once you have this surgery, you are going to have to change how you eat and what you eat for the rest of your life if you want to be successful long term.  It can be a lot of work for some people and when you get close to your goal it might take some extra effort.  If you learn to eat healthy during your "honeymoon" phase and to make positive changes in your life that you can live with for the rest of your life, then you will be successful but you can never get complacent. 

I went to my first weight loss seminar in October and had surgery in December (my choice), I could have had my surgery in November.  Everything just fell into place for me and I caught a lot of breaks that many people do not normally get.  (I know God had everything to do with that!)  I think if you have a positive attitude and don't look at this as a diet or that you are losing something but look at this as a positive lifestyle change, you easily make this work for you.  I am not goign to say I have not been down at times or that I didn't need to give myself a stern talking to a couple of times but it has all been worth it! 

This whole process has been fairly easy for me.  I don't crave the things that I should not be eating.  I am not hungry unless it is truly time to eat or past time to eat.  I have surpassed my surgeon's goals and am where my PCP wants me to be.  My ticker shows I have a few more plans to lose but that is just to a healthy BMI.  I have not really tried to get there in the past 6 months.  I might and I might not try, I am happy with where I am and my body and my food habits are not fighting me to stay at this weight.  I have got from a size 22/24 to a 10/12 and off all medications.  My brain tends to forget that I am not that fat women anymore but that is a whole different story.

Good Luck!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Jennifer E.
on 4/17/14 12:29 am

Jackie- I caught a lot of breaks and knew it was all God too.  It was a comforting feeling :)

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

Jackie T.
on 4/17/14 1:50 am, edited 4/17/14 1:50 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I still had to do everything that everyone else had to do but every place I called for appointments got me that day or the next day instead of the 2-3 week waits.  My insurance request was approved in less than 8 hours because it was mailed on the same day as it was faxed in.  I called the psychologist on a Friday afternoon and he came in on Saturday morning to see me.  Things that just don't happen, happened for me!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

LML8789
on 4/17/14 12:57 am

I did go through insurance and had to comply with a 3 monthly visits to a nutrionist.  I first saw my surgeon in early july and had my surgery in November. 

Lisa

Tlove6
on 4/17/14 12:59 am

I've done everything right and I have been waiting 5mos due to other providers dropping the ball. I've been calling and following up and getting really frustrated. The psych report is my biggest issue, she didn't think I "was ready". Which upset me because I thought I had normal fears and questions. That honesty has cost me 2 mos. 

Good luck! Hopefully for you and me, insurance approval is fast!

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

Mary Gee
on 4/17/14 1:06 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I went to Orientation in October, and surgery is scheduled for May 14th.

Steps for me were: Orientation, initial meeting with Weight Center doctor, then nutritionist consult and two psych visits, and four informational sessions, sleep apnea test and cardio consult due to heart disease, then meeting with surgeon.  

Very first step:  Confirm insurance coverage and find out their specific requirements. If you're employed and get insurance through employer, make sure they don't have a WLS exclusion on their policy (like mine did).  Many insurance companies require a six month supervised diet -- find out specifics.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active