Leaving for Mexico tomorrow, any suggestions about VSG really nervous about all this..(:

wantWLS
on 4/27/14 2:10 pm

Hi I am leaving tomorrow for VSG at TJ in Mexico.  I have been waiting for this now when time has home and I am really leaving tomorrow surgery is on 29th I am highly nervous.  Please tell me if there is anything that I need to know prior to VSG surgery..thnx..

Miss Mo

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/14 2:52 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

I AM SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!! SAFE TRAVELS AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Shanae1
on 4/27/14 4:19 pm - Marana, AZ
VSG on 03/21/14

Hi!

I had the sleeve on 3/21 this year with Dr. Ramos Kelly in Tijuana and I LOVE my sleeve so far! I had the band a while back and it is a completely new world(in a good way!!) 

For me surgery in Mexico was just about as comfortable here. The only frustrating part was the language barrier. A lot of people said that there was always an English speaking nurse there, but that was not the case for me so after a lot of charades and the few Spanish words I knew and the few English words they new  we figured it out and I am still here lol!

The scariest thing about Mexico is the traffic! Oh my gosh! Nobody down there cares about yields, stop signs, or stop lights, and everyone walks right out infront of traffic lol. But I am a very nervous passenger so maybe I was just over paranoid lol. 

Don't bring too much to the hospital, you really won't use it. Just pack your essential hygiene stuff and you won't even miss the rest! 

Coming back over the border was a piece of cake, you get a medical pass and get to cut in front of pretty much everybody. The border patrol man asked us why we were over there and where we were from and kinda looked in the van and then cleared us to go ahead. It took maybe 10 minutes to get back over the border and let me tell you I was glad to be back! It's nice down there, but there is no place like home lol. 

Good luck!! I hope you have a great experience!! If you have   Any more questions feel free to ask me!

Shanae

Surgery on 3/21/2014 with Dr. Ramos Kelly.   HW:385 SW:358 CW: 240

wantWLS
on 4/29/14 1:43 am

Thank you Shanae for the info, tell me when your stitches were removed? after how many days? what was your bmi  since you had lapband it must be low...Iam low bmi but overweight person.....my surgery is in 2 hours..having mixed feelings

Shanae1
on 4/29/14 2:40 am - Marana, AZ
VSG on 03/21/14

Hi!

first of all.. Relax! It will really all be ok! I am so excited for you to have this surgery and change your life! 

My doctor used the dissolving stitches so there was no need to take them out. After about 4-5 weeks the little tails of the stitch fell off and my incisions are healing up nicely.

I started with a very high BMI of 52.5. I even had to pay extra because it was high. I had the lapband in 2010 and had lost only about 35-40lbs when I finally had an emergency surgery to have it removed a year after it was placed(it was the most miserable thing I had ever done to myself) . I then gained all 40lbs I had lost and an extra 75 more. So I decided to have the sleeve 3 years later and it is the best decision I have made! I feel like a normal person while eating now! I have lost 50lbs as of this morning 38since surgery and 12preop diet. 

Good luck! Let us know when you are out of surgery when you feel like it! Remember to walk walk walk! I walked about every hour while I was at the hospital because of the gas,  it helped a lot.

Surgery on 3/21/2014 with Dr. Ramos Kelly.   HW:385 SW:358 CW: 240

wantWLS
on 5/2/14 11:24 am

So here I am all done.  Surgery was suppose to done on the 29th but they did it on the 30 instead.  My BP shoot up really high, I never used to have high BP problem before, but immediately after surgery BP got high.  I am already back in Canada on May 2nd so stayed at the hospital only for 2 days.  I had little juice in the morning and now veggie broth but feeling EXTREMELY week. Have not lost much so far may be since only 2 days.  As per doctors surgery went every fine and leak test was ok too, when would I start noticing shedding some pounds.  I have stitches 5 on my tummy it is horrible, I really don't know how I did it..but it is done..hospital was full of Sleeve patients coming/going..I was surprised to see that.  had no problem at the border..but one thing is I am not a juice lover and I am SICK of drinking juice after juice.making my mouth too sweet..need something salty..

pineview01
on 5/4/14 3:18 pm - Davison, MI

Not only didn't I drink juice I was told not to as it is so high in sugar for the nutritional value.  If you get the unflavored protein you can add it to most things. Add it to strained cream soup and you have protein and salt.

Fluid intake is of the most importance right now and number two is protein.  First you might be hanging onto IV fluid and than the pounds come off than you have to eat thru the proper stages, with the proper diet to lose the pounds.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

wantWLS
on 5/5/14 11:04 am

thanx for the info..

musiqsoulchild
on 4/29/14 3:20 am

I had a 34 bmi and surgery w/ dr. corvala in tj, mx the stitches they gave me dissolve over time within 10 days it scabs up and stops being gooey and within a month you have small tiny scars I'm 2 months out on 5/5/14 and am treating my scars with mederma and the clear plastic bands women use after c-section. Don't worry to much about that though the incisions should be tiny and the scars will be too.

wantWLS
on 5/2/14 11:27 am

Ya I also bought Mederma for my scarring.  so r u eating everything now? since it has been 2 months passed but in small quantity?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views