Sleep apnea

Mme0x
on 5/7/14 4:51 pm - Ocala, FL

I was curious as about the sleep apnea test... I know this is something I can look up , but thought you guys would have better answers? So. . If one has sleep apnea , does that meant one cannot get surgery? What is the test for

Kelly Jean
on 5/7/14 6:38 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

No.   I had sleep apnea I had severe sleep apnea... that's one of the reasons my insurance approved my surgery! !!! But good news since my surgery I have not had to use my machine.... things are just better all around.... so don't worry ...it won't stop it at all...

mollz007
on 5/7/14 9:05 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Yes, sleep apnea is one of the things that could help get you improved for surgery. Many people see their sleep apnea improve after surgery.

check out my blog!

Sandy M.
on 5/7/14 10:03 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

It is considered a "co-morbidity" for weight loss surgery, which means that insurance companies will factor it into a decision on whether or not to cover surgery, just as they do for high blood pressure, diabetes, and other complications of obesity.

If you have a sleep partner, you may already have a good indication of whether or not you have it.  Do you snore?  In between snores do you stop breathing?  That's the apnea part.  When I was diagnosed, I would stop breathing 60 times an hour.  And every time you do that, you cut off oxygen to the brain, increasing your risk of strokes and all other nasty things.  Not to mention that every time you stop breathing you wake up, so you never feel like you got a good nights sleep.

The test is an overnight one, usually in a sleep clinic, where they have a room set up like a luxury hotel.  Before you go to sleep, they'll hook you up with patches and wires on your head, chest, and legs (if they're also testing for restless legs syndrome).  Then you go to sleep like you normally do while a technician in another room monitors your sleep.  And even if you think you haven't sleep a wink, they can tell if you did just by the brain waves.  

If you do have sleep apnea, they may want to set you up with a device called a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure).  It's a mask or nasal "pillows" on your face connected to tubing to the machine, which will blow enough air through your mask to keep your airways open.  It takes a few weeks to get used to, but it can truly save your life.

Since weight is one of the chief causes of sleep apnea, losing weight often cures it.  I had another sleep test last summer and was told I was cured.  

Good luck to you!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Mary Gee
on 5/7/14 11:03 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

In regard to testing, there is also a home test, which I had.  You go to an informational appt., take the test kit home, hook yourself up overnight, and return the machine the next day.

I have mild sleep apnea, and because I'm having surgery, I have to use the machine.  Have to be on the machine for one month before surgery.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

mickeymantle
on 5/8/14 4:19 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

most obese people have sleep apnea , I had to do the sleep study at the hospital , ,I did not think I slept   at all , they hook you up with dozens of wires

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views