Things that get easier/better/improved after surgery and weight loss...

stephintexas
on 5/13/14 10:25 pm, edited 5/13/14 10:25 pm

I thought I'd include my list of things I noticed that got better or easier after losing the weight:

1) Clothes shopping is easier. No more lane Bryant and "I will just pay 10$ for a dress because I won't be wearing it for long." No, now it's Macys clearance rack and Kohl's.

2) Clothes are cheaper. I don't know why they do this to people but bigger clothes cost more. Yes, I know it takes more material but not as much more as they charge.

3) Clothes aren't tent like. Everything I buy isn't loud, huge, drapey, obnoxious colors, or a horrific print.

4) Wiping my booty is easier. OK, I realize this is gross but hey, even the little things count. As much time as I spend on an airplane, this is NOT a little thing at times.

5) I don't have to pack copious amounts of food to make it on a trip.

6) I can have sex on top.

7) I can fit in airplane seats.

8) I can fit in movie seats.

9) I can fit in go-karts.

10) I can fit in roller coaster seats.

11) My chest isn't crawling up under my chin and suffocating me (Something I can't explain unless you've experienced it.)

12) I can sleep on one pillow without choking.

13) When I order an unsweet tea, the waitress doesn't automatically say "You mean sweet?" as if that's all fat people drink

14) My kids no longer worry about what I'm going to wear or how their friends will react

15) Men in service roles are way nicer and much more helpful. (I'm not condoning this just stating it)

16) My energy is off the chart better.

17) I feel younger, look younger

18) I spend more time doing things than sitting on the couch tired.

19) My emotions are way more stable. There isn't the sugar-crash cycle.

20) I tolerate a lot less BS than I did before.

21) To stop eating my life away, I had to deal with stuff and learn to love me. The purging was like an emotional enema but now I'm lighter on the inside as well as outside.

22) My skin and hair are healthier (I blame the protein, water and supplements)

23) I spend more on food than doctors. I no longer do the $1 menu at the fast food restaurants but the money I am not spending missing work or going to the doctor or on meds, balances out.

24) I fall asleep when I go to bed. After years of insomnia (15 at least), I now fall asleep when I go to bed instead of laying there all night long.

25) Driving is easier. My belly no longer sits in my lap nor rubs the steering wheel.

26) I used to sweat trying to get through the airport.

27) I used to panic if we had to walk a long way at work. On business trips, someone would decide to walk to dinner and I'd sweat and my thighs would rub and my hair would frizz and I'd huff and puff and my legs would cramp. Now my hair just frizzes! LOL I bop along for miles now thanks to a good running regime.

28) I can pick up stuff off the floor without busting a seam

29) I can dance without feeling like the Pillsbury dough boy

30) I aspire to the day I can wear sleeveless shirts (thanks to no more batwings) I haven't worn sleeveless clothes without being cognizant of my hamhock biceps in over 15 years

31) When I can return to the gym, I anticipate being able to see muscle in a few weeks rather than just feel it under the layers of fat

32) When I sneeze, I no longer clench my legs for fear I will pee myself (only women will understand this one)

33) I don't have to bend forward to see my feet

34) I can see my groin without having to look in the mirror to do so

35) I can shave my legs without being a contortionist

36) I can climb stairs without taking frequent breaks

37) My hair no longer looks thin (it is thinner so clearly an optical illusion)

38) I no longer referred to as "having a pretty face" or "being a funny girl" or "having a great personality." You know, the terms people use to avoid saying "really big."

39) Toddlers no longer ask me when I'm due.

40) I can buy panties that aren't big enough to alternate as a purse

41) I can travel with one small suitcase since my clothes take up a lot less space

Newgirl32714
on 5/13/14 10:30 pm

Great list! I've achieved a few of them but look forward to checking them all off!

Tracy D.
on 5/13/14 11:01 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

What a great list, Steph!  And I feel ya' on practically every single one of them!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jiliana2
on 5/13/14 11:07 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Love this! Thanks for making me smile today!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Stacy_WLS
on 5/13/14 11:13 pm

Yes!  

I can run without feeling like I'm going to die :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Nmmsg
on 5/13/14 11:14 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

#20-  Yes, yes , yes!  I think that is one of the biggest changes for me.  Love your list-  all true.  

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/14 11:19 pm - Canada

Love this list!

42) I can shave the frilly bits and can actually see what I'm doing rather then doing it by the braille method.

43) I can curl up in a chair into a little ball like when I was a kid :)

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/14 2:48 am

Totally awesome list.  Every line made me smile and nod my head.  Thank you for this.

KAYKAY2
on 5/14/14 5:23 am

THIS IS GREAT. I AM SO WAITING ON MY TURN TO DO ALL THESE THINGS AND MORE. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Kelly Jean
on 5/14/14 10:37 am
VSG on 04/08/14

That's was so awesome... Some I can do and some I look forward to doing !!!  :-)

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views