supporting my surgery pal

weese
on 5/14/14 1:02 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

My friend had RNY a few months before my sleeve. We have attended support meetings together and shared the process. I am beginning to see that my surgery pal is noncompliant with type and amount of food. Even vitamins are an issue, only taking one children's complete Instead of two as our directions say.. I have tried to gently steer towards joining this site and checking out eggface but no success.  I even made some ricotta bake early on and brought it to work because she has an issue with getting enough protein in. I also gave her the Recipe. The other day she mentioned that she was going to make it but add noodles. I explained that the point was to have a lasagna type dish minus the noodles. She just sighed deeply. I know she keeps eating noodles and rice and goes out for tacos and eats the shells then can't seem to figure out why she has trouble getting in protein and why her stomach bothers her. I see the amount of food she Is putting on her plate and it is more than the three oz that she has been told to eat.  I don't think she gets it. I think she is really assuming that smaller portions of the same old foods is ok.  I'm scared she isn't making the needed changes but did don't want to say much more as it  is her choice and she has gone to the same meetings and education as I have. What do I do at this point, do I let it go? 

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

themexcellentone
on 5/14/14 1:34 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

It sounds like you have tried to lead by example and she hasn't bothered to take the bait.

Worst, it sounds like she was truly not ready to commit to this process. 

People that don't want to be helped can't be helped, no matter how much time you invest in them...

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

weese
on 5/14/14 1:49 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

Excellent point, I guess I can just be there for her if she decides to commit to change in the future. I think I will just keep trying to inspire her through my cooking experiments and hope it spurs her to start trying new recipies that are healthier.

Lisa

Calaska
on 5/14/14 3:50 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I don't know if this applies in your case, but some people don't respond to examples and nuances or suggestions. Sometimes they need to be told outright and point blank. Just factual observations, no accusations. If you ask her if she wants her support, that should tell you which way to go. 

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Twinsinsept.
on 5/14/14 8:28 pm
VSG on 05/06/14

Does she have a good surgeon and nutritionist?  If so, I think I would just lead by example.  The best thing you can do is eat according to your plan, and she will see your results and lack of upset stomach, and other ailments.

it does sound kind of like she was looking for the magic pill, or maybe expected to continue to eat the same foods, but less of them and see results.  I guess it depends on if you want to preserve your friendship with her.  Nagging her and being her diet police may push her away.

Best of luck, that sounds like a hard situation.

HW: 345. CW 272

Gwen M.
on 5/15/14 1:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sadly the only thing you can do is lead by example. :(  It must be really hard to see your friend sabotaging herself like this.  Is she seeing a therapist, do you know?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

weese
on 5/15/14 8:45 am
VSG on 02/26/14

No therapist but she has the same physician and has gone to the same program and classes as I have. I never say you should or shouldn't eat this. I had hoped by example and samples to encourage her. I share new recipes just as we did pre-weight loss. It's hard to know how to be supportive without crossing the line into nag with this situation. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Lisa

Most Active