I want a bike

aharris30
on 5/19/14 10:50 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Okay so random topic. I live about a 30 sec drive from a major lake. I really really want a bike but feel awkward about going to a bike store since I've always been above the max limit. At my highest this year I weighed 300lbs. After visiting the doctors office today I was 274, down about 8-9lbs since surgery last Tuesday. I figure its summertime and I live in such a beautiful area that I should enjoy this. I always admire the people (even elderly) who ride through my area and on the lake. I'm just afraid of breaking the bike when I sit on it (all in my head). Any suggestions on good bike brands for us? 

frisco
on 5/19/14 11:08 am

Mountain bikes tend to be beefier.....

I don't know where you are, but I've bought a few off of craigslist. I keep them at different places that I may want a bike to ride so I don't have to carry one around.

I get old school (90's) mountain bikes with no suspension and put street tires on it and it's a great rider.

Here is one I picked up for $75 and keep at my moms....it's a Specialized "Hard Rock"

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Ribigman
on 5/19/14 12:43 pm
VSG on 04/10/14

I've been biking for a few years now, at my high weight 385-390 I broke quite a few spokes. It's been 5 weeks since surgery and I'm down to 321. A mountain bike is a great place to start, 36 spoke rims can easily handle higher weight. I accidentally went off a curb this weekend and 40lbs ago I would have been going to my local bike shop for some new spokes, but at 321 there was no damage and I continued my ride. Hop on craigslist and pick one out and get out there and start riding. It is very low impact, Saturday I rode 25 miles and felt great afterwards!  Good luck!

atia
on 5/19/14 5:35 pm - parma, OH
VSG on 04/10/13

I want one too aharris...Ive been looking into the beach cruisers...bigger tires and a bigger seat lol...plus old style is cool.  Im thinking Wal-Mart for my first bike then once im acclimated and am thoroughly enjoying it, maybe a bike shop.  Ive not had the luck Frisco has with Craigs List.  They had 1 and it was almost as much as the bike shops Ive checked in to at a whopping 479.00.  Um no. 

tia

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views