I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!

planetswifey
on 5/23/14 6:10 pm

Well i went to my first appoinment, my insurance covers gastric sleeve, but i have to have one co-morbity.....and i dont. I am so stressed all this work i have done and idk what to do. i have to go get a sleep study done im hoping i have sleep apnea if not i doubt i can have the surgery. Any suggestions on how to fail this test so to speak. lol  Any thing i could  do to be more prone to having sleep apnea? Any suggestions would be a blessing... Thanks

Kelly Jean
on 5/23/14 7:58 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Sorry I don't believe there is any way to force fail this test it's done while u sleep... it will measure how u breath how many times in stop breathing ...and so on 

How's your bp. Your not a pre diabetic. What about your cholesterol. Your heart.

Have you spoken with your doctor and gone over all your results and your options! !!! Best of luck on getting approved....

megan.sherman
on 5/23/14 9:11 pm
VSG on 05/17/14

No hip or knee pain?  

Mary Gee
on 5/23/14 9:23 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

You list your BMI as 40.3 -- that should be enough to qualify for the surgery.  Generally, it's BMI of 35 with co-morbity - or - BMI of 40 alone. For more information, click on the blue bar at the top of your screen where it says "Resources" and then click on "Information About Weight Loss Surgery".  

You should contact Member Services of Medicaid (number should be on back of your insurance card) and ask about the requirements for surgery.  They may require a six-month supervised diet, and if time is an issue for you, you might want to get that started right away.

Good luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Mary Gee
on 5/23/14 9:25 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
happyteacher
on 5/23/14 11:36 pm

i worked in a sleep disorders clinic for a decade before I taught and there are situations that bring out apnea more than others.

1.  For most, sleep apnea is more severe when sleeping on your back.

2.  The next position most likely to bring it out is sleeping on the left side, but the back is a much better choice.

3  Apnea is worse at the end of the night typically during your last phase of delta and REM sleep- it is because it is a deeper sleep than the delta or REM sleep that occurs 1.5-2 hours into the study. Sometimes techs will end the study after 6 hours if they work in a lab that is small- they get to go home earlier.  Make sure you go the full 8 hours if at all possible.  

4.  Go in absolutely exhausted.  You will sleep more deeply and thus point 3 can kick in more. Also, one of the attributes they will look at is if you fall asleep really fast- a marker for apnea that impairs daily life.  

5.  If you happen to have allergies that trigger congestion, do not treat it.  People who are really congested typically have more apnea (assuming they have apnea to begin with).  I don't have apnea, but on nights I have a cold my husband can hear me having events.  (He used to also work in a sleep lab so he knows what he is doing.)

6.  If you take any kind of a sleep aid regularly you may need to detox from it.  Ask the docs about this.  There is something called rebound insomnia- some drugs that promote sleep can turn into promoting insomnia.  You will want to avoid this. 

7.  People with apnea frequently report the following symptoms: falling asleep in inappropriate places (i.e. watching tv, waiting for a doctor's appointment, driving, etc.), waking up in the morning and feeling like they never really slept, spouse says they stop breathing at night, dry throat, waking up with headaches, waking up in at night with a choking sensation/gasping for breath/heart racing, snoring (particuarly loud, suck the wallpaper off the wall snoring),  

I hate to say "good luck" in this instance since that would mean you have apnea, but I get it.  I hope you find a way to qualify for surgery.  If you have any questions do not hesitate to PM me.  HT

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Needasplace
on 5/24/14 1:50 am - Plainfield, IL
VSG on 11/18/13

You give some really sound advice.  Thanks for sharing!  was unaware of #6.

Gwen M.
on 5/24/14 1:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might consider seeing an orthopedist and having him/her check for arthritis in your joints.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

heartOtexasgirl
on 5/24/14 3:09 am

I know you're not suppose to have caffeine or alcohol so many hours before your sleep study, but.....alcohol makes your muscles relax more and I tend to snore more after a margarita, or two.  Just a thought.

Bibo
on 5/24/14 3:59 am

isnt depression a co-morbidity?

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op