Does anyone NOT need plastic surgery after wls?

lessofme123
on 5/27/14 7:26 pm

My surgery is in ONE WEEK!!!!!! I've been reading about all the excess skin people have after losing so much weight and wondering if that is always the case. I hope I won't have too much extra skin to deal with, but if I do, how much money am I looking at for plastic surgery? I have no idea how much I might need to save up.

Kathy8429
on 5/27/14 8:40 pm

A lot depends on age and genetics. I have some loose skin but I think it will tighten up some over the next year or so. When I had children my belly snapped back nicely. Of course that was 30 years ago. I'll just have to live with a little

Nmmsg
on 5/27/14 9:16 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

I think that is a personal decsion.  Total weight loss and genetics and age all are factors in determining this.  I am 64 and don't wish any more surgery.  I can see some areas of extra skin in my arms, top of legs and lower portion of my stomach.  None of it is too extreme and I can live with it. No amount of exercise will make large amounts of excess skin go away.  

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

TexasTerritory
on 5/27/14 9:38 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I have some excess skin but not enough to consider plastic surgery. I think it is a very personal thing. Good luck.

LosingSarah
on 5/27/14 9:42 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I think very few really "need" plastic surgery. There can be some issues with rashes for some, but I think the majority of plastic surgery is for aesthetics. There is no way in heck at this point in my life I'd be able to afford it. If I have issues with rashes I may try to pursue the insurance/medical necessity option for an "apron flap" if I have one when I'm done, but not sure if that will happen.

Anyway, it really is a personal decision. I know that building muscle can help some, so I do weights, but it will never completely go away I'm sure if I have issues. (I think I will, but who knows). If you think you might need it I'd start saving now. From what I've read here it can cost at least a few thousand for one minor procedure, but many get multiple procedures costing much more (like $20,000+). 

White Dove
on 5/27/14 9:43 pm, edited 5/27/14 9:43 pm - Warren, OH

It does vary by person.  I was 59 having surgery and planned on having a tummy tuck long before I actually had surgery.  My stomach muscles were always weak, even before pregnancy. 

The rest of my body looked fine.  I did exercise every day after surgery.  Treadmill and weight machines four days a week and water aerobics two days.  On Sunday's I would walk outside or go to a mall and walk for an hour.  I used a lot of defoliants and a lot of creams and lotions.  Keeping the muscles in my arms and legs firm and toned makes a big difference.  Having soft and smooth skin instead of dry and wrinkly skin just improves my appearance all over.

My tummy tuck was self pay and cost $5,000.  My friend who had a body lift, liposuction, breast lift and augmentation, and brachioplasty looks like a swimsuit model now and they invested $35,000 in her plastic surgeries.  

I went into this with the attitude that a new car could be purchased for $35,000 and that I was willing to spend the same amount on my body as I would on my car.  My body changes would be there for life, while a car wears out and needs to be replaced.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dragonlove
on 5/28/14 2:19 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Love that attitude!  That's pretty much mine.  I'm not up to a new car value quite yet with only the RNY but I'm thinking that unless my skin surprises me, a year or so from now I might be having to get a few areas improved.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

jamiemarlowe
on 5/28/14 3:51 am

Great attitude! My husband was really concerned I would lose my boobs and I have lost about half of what I had before (and I'm only 1/2 way to my goal weight). He is on board for a skin removal as long as I get a boob job at the same time (more of a lift in all honesty). I'm only 33 so it would be worth it for me. 

Stacy_WLS
on 5/27/14 10:26 pm

I don't think everyone "needs" plastics.  It is a choice.  

I have lost just over 90 lbs in the past 6 months, but my skin when standing up actually looks fine.  I do not need any shapewear to look flat in clothes.  I don't have a panni.  BUT I still WANT plastics.  When I bend over or do plank, it really bothers me how much skin I have.  I have worked so hard for this new body and I want to get to the point where I am not consistently reminded about the extra skin.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 5/28/14 12:07 am - Canada

Everyone here has valid points and in the end it depends if you want it.  You don't have to have it by any means. I personally have an old incision from a previous surgery that is to the top right of my belly button.  I don't know what the doctor did when closing it but I've always had a bulge there and it has now become a problem because as it deflates it is causing my belly button to be covered.  This is causing infections which I have to treat daily to keep from getting out of control.  My lower stomach "apron" is wrinkly but I could live with that.  It's not hanging over as much as just looking like a deflated balloon.  Like one of the other posters I have always had very weak stomach muscles and I believe that this is a lot of my lower back pain problem.  No amount of exercise has ever fixed how weak they are (doctor is the first one that noticed it...I never even realized it could be a problem).  So if I have PS it will be on my stomach to tighten the skin (fixing the belly button issue) and the muscles.  Some of that is covered here but some will be out of pocket.  I will probably wait a year before I do anything and hope for a miracle lol.  I really do not want more surgery!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 181 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 476 views