Revision From a Band to a Sleeve ???? Doc said it can still Dialate?

Kimbaru
on 5/29/14 9:05 am - WA

What happened to me in my revision was that the part of my upper esophagus that had stretched with the band, remained stretchy after the revision to sleeve.  What that feels like is that I have a pouch at the top of my sleeve that could hold more than the rest of the sleeve.  That makes it possible to over eat.  I have managed this by always measuring my food.  If I do overdo it, I get very uncomfortable when the food tries to travel down into the firmer part of the sleeve.  I have found it totally manageable, but a little different than the sensations many people get. I am almost 1 yr. out and have lost 125 lb.s

Hope this helps,

Kim, too

crankyyanky1
on 5/29/14 9:09 am - hampstead, NC

Did your Dr tell you that it could be a problem before hand because mine is acting like this is not even a option.  I am very confused and frustrated right now

Kim

Kimbaru
on 5/29/14 10:02 am - WA

He didn't tell me in advance.  It might have scared me off, but really, it's not a big deal.

Kim

Ms Shell
on 5/29/14 9:18 am - Hawthorne, CA

Hey Kim did you have your band removed and revision in 1 surgery or 2?  I know sometimes they remove the band and then months later do the sleeve (just curious).

Kimbaru
on 5/29/14 10:06 am - WA

Hi Miss Shell,

It was 2 surgeries, 3 months apart.  I had had my band unfilled by an un-experienced doc.  It was after that and before going back to my original surgeon that I stretched my stomach out.  This quack also told me that the most I could expect to lose with a revision was 30 pounds.  I'm glad I went back to my original surgeon!  The first guy was sooooo wrong about the whole revision thing, yet that is how he advertised his practice.

Kim

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/14 9:57 am

Esophageal dilation occurs because the band is not letting the food you eat through the restricted area. This causes the esophageal sphincter to open and allow food to back up into your esophagus. Over time the esophagus will dilate to accommodate the pressure and amount of food (which can be miniscule). This does not usually happen with the sleeve - though where the body is concerned, anything is truly possible.

My guess is that since your esophagus has dilated twice already your surgeon is concerned that it will again. I, personally, would seek out a surgeon known for a high success rate with revision surgeries. I think that is your best bet.

Best of luck. BTW, I went to a support group last night and the surgeon mentioned that the band has by far the most complications in the long term of any of the WLS and that many of those complications are easily resolved with revision to either RNY or sleeve.

pineview01
on 5/29/14 2:30 pm - Davison, MI

You always say it better than I, even though I lived it.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 400 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 427 views