Revision From a Band to a Sleeve ???? Doc said it can still Dialate?

crankyyanky1
on 5/29/14 7:42 am - hampstead, NC

I need help I have had a lap band for 7 years lots of issues my original surgeon has moved since I was banded,  I have dialeted 2 x once 2 yrs ago and again last week.  I spoke to the Dr today about a revision to a Sleeve and he said that can Dialate too.  I had never seen that on any of the boards if any of you have heard that or know about that issue please elaborate.  Because I am looking for the best solution for me!!

Thanks

Kim

TexasTerritory
on 5/29/14 7:53 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I don't know much about the band but I am unsure what your question is about. Do you mean does the sleeve dilate?

And do you mean that your band has been dilated?

Thanks.

cappy11448
on 5/29/14 8:06 am

I don't know what it means to dialate.  I have never heard of it with the sleeve. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

crankyyanky1
on 5/29/14 8:08 am - hampstead, NC

Yes my band or my esophagus has dialated 2x, I talked to dr about a revision to a sleeve procedure and he said the same thing can happen with the sleeve and I had never heard of that or any one complain about it and I wanted to know if anyone had heard that or has issues with that in their new sleeve

pineview01
on 5/29/14 2:21 pm - Davison, MI

What has dilated?  I had a band first also.  I had esophagealitis.  I still have some issue with that as the band caused permeated damage.   Now if you pouch above the band dilated that is something different.  With the band you are keeping the food above the band in a small area and many have the food backing up or sticking in the esophagus.  Than a mechanical devise hold it there until it is digested and/or washed thru.

With the sleeve you have a normal functioning stomach, smaller yes.  The pyloric valve works normally and lets the food pass in the normal time needed, faster for liquid and slower to digest solids.  Can you stretch you sleeve?  Yes, if constantly overfill it and pu****  Also is the sleeve isn't made properly.

Does your surgeon do many sleeves?  Maybe he isn't comfortable with his ability and you should search out another more qualified in doing sleeves.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

crankyyanky1
on 5/29/14 8:09 am - hampstead, NC

I meant dialation in the sleeve also sorry

Ms Shell
on 5/29/14 8:18 am - Hawthorne, CA

Dilation as I understand the BASIC definition is to expand or open??  

What the sleeve does is "mature" basically because when you are first out from surgery your stomach is still swollen (like with the band) but after time about a year or so for the sleeve you new stomach reaches it's MAX capacity.  That differs from person to person because there are so many variables, whether or not your surgeon used a bougie (a tool to measure/sew your sleeve), the length of your stomach, where you had measures, how much fundus he leaves (google any terms you aren't familiar with as this is your new anatomy).  For instance SOME/MANY people find they can barely get down 1oz of food at a time in those early months, then they can easily get down 2oz etc.  The MAJORITY (agin your mileage may vary) can't eat over 7oz-8oz in a sitting.  I used 7-8oz because that is MY max (I am almost 7 years out).  Many report 3-6oz capacity.

Because the sleeve REMOVES the fundus you are LESS likely to expand (ie dialate much).

Also note that because of the damage done by your band there could be other variables in place.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

crankyyanky1
on 5/29/14 8:29 am - hampstead, NC

That is kind of what I thought about the sleeve because I have a older band he was talking to me about letting the dialation heal then rebanding with a newer type of band I really want to be done with the band if I can maybe I will have to talk to another surgeon

Ms Shell
on 5/29/14 8:54 am - Hawthorne, CA

From what I've read about the band once you have problems, you might always have band problems.  I'd definitely talk to a few revisions AND several surgeons.

pineview01
on 5/29/14 2:27 pm - Davison, MI

What Ms Shell said, once you have a problem you will be way more likely to have issues.  Do you really want another band surgery and most likely even another.  We have people post it took them getting THREE band before they got the UH HA moment and dump the band.  Sounds like your surgeon is a band pusher.  Do you realize Mayo Clinic has stopped placing band.  Some military facilities have stopped with other highly recommending you not get one.  A lot of centers have stopped even though they make tons more money off the band.  Don't let him talk you into something you don't want just to make him more money.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views