first post-op follow up this week

lessofme123
on 6/21/14 9:00 pm

I am anxious to see my surgeon this week for the first time since I left the hospital. What kinds of things can I expect at the appointment? Will he likely do labs? Will I need to go back for more appointments over the first few months or years, or will he just send me on my way and tell me to let him know if I have problems? I hope I can at least continue to meet with a dietician but I don't think so. I remember at my pre surgery consult with the dietician that she said she only sees patients before surgery and wondered how happy or successful they were after surgery. She told me to send her an email to let her know how I did.

Gwen M.
on 6/21/14 11:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I can't tell when you had surgery.. but my first post-op was two weeks after surgery and it was basically, "let me check your incision sites.  Everything looks great.  How are you doing, any concerns?"  Very simple.  

My surgeon doesn't order labs until 6 months, although I had my PCP run a bunch of things around 2 months because I'm impatient and curious.  This turned out to be a good thing since I'm having some weirdness now and I had lab results to show my surgeon at my 3 month so he didn't need to order anything for my weirdness.  

I believe my followup schedule is 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year.. and then I'm not sure if it'll be 1.5 years and 2 years, or just straight to 2 years.  I see my NUT as often as I want, but for me that was at the 3 month and probably not again until a year unless I feel like I need more guidance in between now and then.  

Here are my blog posts about the followups I've had so far -- 

http://myvsg.livejournal.com/28551.html - 2 weeks

http://myvsg.livejournal.com/42748.html - 6 weeks

http://myvsg.livejournal.com/57219.html - 3 months

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Musicteech
on 6/22/14 4:17 am - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

I go for my first 1 week follow up this coming Thursday so I'm curious as well.

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

Teresa G.
on 6/22/14 10:24 am
VSG on 06/03/14

I had my first post-op visit at 1 week after surgery. Mine was also, lets see your tummy, looks good, are you having any problems getting fluid in?  If you have any problems call.  Then, I go back in 6 weeks.  My surgeons weightloss center has wonder after care.  I have access for life to a nut, exercise therapist, psyhcologist, and support groups!!!  I wish everyone had these.

Teresa

pineview01
on 6/22/14 5:47 pm - Davison, MI

Did they give you a post op schedule pre surgery?  Our center does.  We don't see the surgeon but we have a follow up at the 1/2 weeks mark depending on stitches and drains and such.  We do have one Nutrition class at two week were we got the rest of the diet plan.  Than we go back at 3 months, 6 months and 1 year.  Before each visit we have labs drawn so we can go over the results at the appointment.  We would see the tech, and the RN and/or PA at each appointment.

Than we are suppose to have labs and a appointment annually.  Every center can vary what they do.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kelly Jean
on 6/22/14 11:17 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

My Dr saw me at 1 week out ... 3 weeks out . Again 3 weeks after and sees me every 4 weeks now for the first 6 months...  no labs yet I believe he does them at 3 months... As far as my nut... she is awesome I can see her when ever I want ...Mary is always there to talk and she also runs the group meeting 1 time a month so its fantastic... !!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views