Protein shakes are making me sick

Crazzzykay
on 6/24/14 6:25 am
VSG on 05/05/14

So I am about 7 weeks post op and I am having a really hard time finding a protein shake I can tolerate. I have tried powders and rtd shakes and either the taste is beyond awful or I get horrible stomach cramps before I finish half of the shake. Last time I had a shake I got so sick I almost passed out in the middle of wal-mart. I'm really worried that I won't be able to find a shake that I can drink and I am not getting enough protein in. 

amyvsg6614
on 6/24/14 6:51 am
VSG on 06/06/14

I am with you.. I hardly reach protein goal due to this. I drink the SlimFast high protein, Vanilla Premier Shakes, and Nectar double stuffed cookie. These are the ones that dont have that awful protein taste.. I hope that helps. 

Mac333
on 6/24/14 7:05 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

Don't know if this will help but I found the smell of the protein was almost sickening before I even got to drink it. I found if I put sugarfree banana or vanilla pudding just a bit in with the powder the pudding scent would cancel out the protein powder scent as well as enhance the taste. This is how I have coped almost 9 weeks out don't 

like the drinks still but  I can tolerate them.

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

ReginaPhelange
on 6/24/14 7:58 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Syntrax Nectar is the only protein drink I can handle after the liquid diet HELL!!!

bjsbariatrics.com has sample packs you can order.  I have liked EVERY Flavor except the vanilla and chocolate (thanks to the liquid diet)

Good luck

RNY 2/24/14. HW 274ish. SW 259 GW 135

ColleenInOregon
on 6/24/14 8:15 am

All of the "cheap" shakes make me sick now....I use Isopure and have NO bad reactions. I did get really sick of the mango flavor I chose, however, just the smell of any vanilla shake now makes me sick LOL It's tough, I hope you find one you can tolerate!!!!

chriswife19
on 6/24/14 8:40 am
VSG on 05/28/14

Could it be that you need to try shakes that have a different protein source than those you're currently using?

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

Gwen M.
on 6/24/14 8:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You might be having issues with lactose, or whey.  Have you tried protein shakes from other sources or powders mixed with almond milk instead of cow milk?  

Although at 7 weeks out you shouldn't necessarily need protein shakes since you should be able to get all of your protein through food sources like yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.  So as long as you're careful about your protein, you should be able to manage with whole foods. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

shrinking_sarah
on 6/24/14 9:50 am - CA

This may not help you, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  Post-op, I went through a phase where I just could not stand the taste of Premier Protein any longer.  They didn't make me sick, I just could. not. drink. another. one.  Someone told me to pour them over ice so they'd "thin" a bit.  I thought it sounded crazy, but it worked.  My other suggestion is to add a shot of espresso and pretend it's a mocha. ;)  If you find one that works and doesn't give you a physical reaction, that is.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

momofz
on 6/24/14 12:05 pm
VSG on 05/01/14

I had a hard time drinking Premier Protein shakes post op.  I found if I poured half a glass of Carbmaster milk and half of the Premier Protein and stirred it together, I could tolerate it much better.  Carbmaster milk is lactose free, reduced sugar, non fat milk, sold at Kroger's.  It tastes just like skim milk.  It has 60 calories for 8 ounces, 3 carbs, and 11 grams of protein, 0 fat, 3 grams of sugar.  This drink mixed with Premier Protein gives me 26 grams of protein in a 16 ounce glass.

mollz007
on 6/24/14 12:52 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Like Gwen said, you could be having issues with lactose. I was lactose intolerant for the first 3 weeks. Now I mix my shakes with milk every day with no problems... go figure. I also agree with the suggestion of adding SF jello mix... it is very good... try the cheesecake. I also like to add the flavored SF syrups they use in coffee shops (brands like torani) and sometimes I will even add a tablespoon of peanut butter. But there are so many brands of shakes out there... it way take awhile. Before surgery, I loved the RTD shakes, and now I cant stand them. The nectar line is very good. If you are a coffee lover like me, you might enjoy click or chicke. The nectar line has a cappuccino flavor that is good too.

check out my blog!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views