3.5 mo post op - What to expect?

jamiemarlowe
on 7/2/14 5:11 am

I'm 3.5 mo post op and so far I have done pretty well but I feel like I am hitting that change phase. The one where I have been eating "normally" (by that I mean solids) for a while and I haven't had any problems keeping anything down or with things being unsettled. My concern is I now know I can eat things that I could eat pre-op only smaller portions. I keep feel like I am having cravings for things - not all bad, in fact most are good things to eat but is that the start of the hunger feeling coming back? Since before surgery I have dreaded that phase. Not being hungry has helped me more than anything else. 

Any recommendations going forward from this transition?

AngloAm
on 7/2/14 5:18 am

Is a craving the same as being hungry?

A hunger is a need for more fuel or you'll stop.

A craving is a wish for a specific food item or you'll go "crazy" (be upset/feel deprived/get p*ssed off/whatever).

Also, I am given to understand that your body will 'crave' a variety of food - has your diet become monotonous? Maybe you need to mix it up a little. By that of course I mean mixed up good stuff, not Bridge Mix!

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

jamiemarlowe
on 7/2/14 5:24 am

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure. Probably more of a craving. I don't fully feel hungry yet like I used too. For the first 3 months I didn't even really feel like I had cravings other than the desire to chew something/anything. My doctor said to treat our new stomachs like a baby, and I think I'm like a new mom trying to figure out what others felt/did as they transitioned. 

AngloAm
on 7/2/14 5:47 am

I wanted to eat something so damned bad but I'm glad I didn't. My mind hasn't yet fully adjusted to my stomach - I still want Chex Mix, but then I also picture those little jagged edges ripping my stomach to shreds. Then I imagine sepsis. Hydrochloric acid coursing into my abdominal cavity. Undigested food spilling onto my liver.

I know they say a little of what you fancy does you good, but maybe contact your NUT/MD first. They're interested in helping out.

Take me with a grain of salt though - I piled guac on top of my diner last night and up it merrily came. So I'm far from an expert!

NurseJackie
on 7/2/14 6:36 am
VSG on 07/10/14

Very well said AngloAm!!!!!  I am in the pre op phase right now and it is so hard for me, but after you just defined the two I now know I am craving.  I am getting in a sufficiet amount of protein, but I am craving bad bad food.  My surgery is July 10th.  

VSG on July 10th, 2014

Nata-Sleeve
on 7/2/14 8:47 am

Hi NurseJackie--

I am in pre-op too (surgery July 22nd), and I am craving terrible foods so much right now. Even more than before! I think I'm feeling like I'll *never* be able to have them again so I'm kind of in a panic. I need to stop and remind myself of the difference between real hunger and a craving. Any suggestions on how to handle the cravings better?

HW: 310, SW:??? (7/22/14), GW: 175

AngloAm
on 7/2/14 10:29 am

I would guess that if you can hang tight/hang tough/just accept the cravings as cravings, not as imperatives, you can do it! 

Just acknowledge that "wow, I'd really like a bit of xxx, but I'm not going to have one, and that's fine. Nobody ever died who was following a sensible diet and wasn't eating xxx."

Remember there's a reason they call it 'hog wild.'

cappy11448
on 7/2/14 7:20 am

I can certainly understand your feelings on this.  I have a hard time differentiating physical hunger from head hunger, from wanting to eat due to anxiety or boredom or whatever.  I know that most days, I can do ok.  If I want to eat and its not time, I have a cup of tea or I go exercise, or I find some activity.  Some days it is hard - the urge to eat is so constant.  Other days I can manage just fine. 

My only thoughts going forward are to hang in there.  Do what you need to every day to keep to the plan.  Keep your eye on the prize.  You will be so happy when you reach your goal.  It is so worth it, and you can do it.

I'd suggest weighing and logging your food so you can keep track of what you are eating. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

KevinBacon
on 7/2/14 11:24 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I always keep a flavored drinks on hand (I stock up when the powerade zeros are on sale) and I go for a drink first. Usually it satisfies any need for taste or satiety. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views