How many VSG people have acid reflux?

Sally L.
on 7/18/14 6:57 am

So glad you are beginning to feel better, Sdkitty!  Thanks of the response!

SALLY - banded May 9, 2007 Check out my new fun fall photos!

MacMadame
on 7/17/14 10:50 pm - Northern, CA

This is a tricky one because while it's true that for virgin WLS people a lot of us who have reflux pre-op find it goes away post-op that is less true for band-to-sleeve revisions.

Sometimes the band will do bad things to your stomach and esophagus and that is what is causing the reflux and the sleeve makes the reflux worse. But not always. So the risk is that you get the sleeve and then a year or two later you have to revise to RnY anyway. I've seen that happen to 2 friends of mine just this year. They ended up getting THREE different WLS surgeries in the end! But then again there are plenty of band-to-sleeve revisions too that go just fine.

So it's definitely an area where you want to listen to your surgeon because it's all about much scar tissue you have and where it is and the state of your esophagus and that's very individual. You want to make sure your surgeon has a lot of experience with band to sleeve revisions too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sally L.
on 7/18/14 7:02 am

Thanks, MacMadame!  I am hoping insurance will pay for this revision, but I am certain I would be pushing my luck to revise 3 times!  I am also scared ( and my husband isn't crazy about it either) about losing 80% of my stomach!  What if I need that other 80% later???!!!  :)  

SALLY - banded May 9, 2007 Check out my new fun fall photos!