surgery tomorrow

Amy M.
on 7/28/14 11:19 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

OMG my surgery is tomorrow!  I'm starting to prep for the hospital and so far I have a robe, slippers, chapstick, Kindle, and my cell phone charger. I'm going to pack a change of clothes for when I leave as well. Should I bring my own toiletries or will they supply me with some? Is there anything else I should bring? 

Today is clear liquid only and I think I'm allowed to have jello and juice as well but I'm so afraid that I'm going to be starving all day. Plus I have to go for a skills test for a job that I'm applying for and I'm hoping the lack of food doesn't affect my energy or focus. Any tips on surviving today?!

chriswife19
on 7/28/14 11:37 pm
VSG on 05/28/14

I brought a toothbrush and toothpaste and it turned out the hospital provided any toiletries I needed so I could have left them home.

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

Gwen M.
on 7/28/14 11:44 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I wore the same loose, baggy clothes home that I wore to surgery.  I took my kindle and didn't use it at all.  I used my phone and charger - I took an external charger so I wouldn't need to worry about figuring out where to plug it into a wall and possibly cause cord havoc.  

I took chapstick and used it maybe once.  I took a case for my glasses to go in during surgery.  

I didn't take toiletries since the hospital had all of those for me.  They also had hospital gowns and grippy socks, so I wouldn't have used my own robe or slippers.  

And that was it.  I had my partner bring a pillow for the car ride home to hold over my stomach.  

Hospitals are really good about providing you with the stuff you'll need.  :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

J B
on 7/29/14 2:17 am

Just had my surgery 15 days ago, so I have a few ideas:

I brought a pair of flip flops that I wore when I started walking around the hospital floor.  They really help because those hospital socks can be really uncomfortable.  So, if you have flip flops or slip on shoes that are comfortable for you and easy to get in and out of, bring those along.

If you're the kind who checks her phone a lot, bring an extension cord with you.  The plug in the wall for your charger will probably not reach your bed, this will insure that you can charge and have the phone near you.

I wish I'd brought my favorite pillow with me.  If you can fit it reasonably in a bag, then bring that too.  It'd be comforting.

As for your diet before going in, just try to keep your mind off of it.  Talk with friends.  Go to bed early.  Stay focussed on the fact that you're doing something important for your health.

You'll be fine :-)

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

Nottooskinnyplease
on 7/29/14 5:20 am

I had surgery on July 9.  I hate hospitals.  I brought my pillow and blanket and was glad I did.  I wore flip-flops walking the halls.  I brought a pair of loose shorts and put them on under the gown as soon as I could.  I brought a laptop thinking I could check my work-email but I ended up not touching it.  I also brought my ipad but there was really no comfortable way to hold it as it hurt to rest it on my stomach.  if you have a smart phone I would stick with just that.  The pain meds make it so you are in and out of sleep the whole time you are there anyway.  I was allowed to shower the day after surgery and It was nice to have all my own stuff.  I didn't use the robe I brought.  unless I was missing something I couldn't put it on without having my iv taken out. 

hotwaterkyle
on 7/29/14 6:15 am
RNY on 06/02/14

Good luck!

Melissa0518
on 7/29/14 7:44 am
with

I would try protein shakes. They are liquid plus it will fill you up so you're not thinking about it. As for things you take to the hospital. I took my iPhone, kindle, chapstick which I used a lot, that's about it. I used the hospital socks because I was groggy flip flops wouldn't of been good for me. Used 2 hospital gowns 1 with the tie in the back and the other with the tie in the front. I put my underwear on as soon as they let me. 

Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

MsShawna
on 7/29/14 7:51 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Congratulations and everyone has covered what you need keep a positive attitude and you will do wonderful!

Valerie G.
on 7/29/14 8:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
  • Don't bother with the robe. You can use a second gown and wear it backwards (common practice)
  • Make sure the clothes you bring have an extremely loose waist.  Better yet, you can wear the clothes home that you wore in, for you'll not wear them very long once you get there.
  • Bring your own shampoo, for they provide little more than baby shampoo.  Your avatar looks like your hair is long enough for a pony tail - bring a scrunchy for that.
  • Ear plugs - the hospital is no place to get a good night's sleep.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Laura222
on 7/29/14 9:38 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I'm 5 days post-op. I had a clear liquid diet the last day and ate sf Popsicles like they were going out of style. I had like 2 for each "meal". I attempted broth...ewww couldn't do it.  I worked my last day so I was still busy there preparing for being off. 

As for the hospital, I took Chapstick, loose pj shorts, underwear, loose t-shirt and sports bra and socks. I also had my iPad and iPhone my fav pillow and a soft lime green plush throw blanket, my glasses case and contacts. 

I was told to wear my glasses to the hospital. I was also told to bring socks. I never put on my socks. I got there and as soon as I went back to a room to get ready, they gave me this gown and it came with grippy socks. The only time I used my iPad was when I was waiting for surgery. I was the third one for the day and I was supposed to have surgery at 11 and didn't go bac****il 1:30.  After it was all over I got back to my room and slept for a while. Then I needed to pee (no catheter, yay!). When my mom called the nurse to help me get up to pee I told my mom that once I was up I want to try walking around. So when the nurse got there I asked if I could put my pj shorts on. She was like of course! So I tried to see how far I could go and asked if I could put a shirt on too. Of course! What about a sports bra? Sure. So within 2 hours of being in my room, I was completely dressed in my own clothes (which made me feel SOOO much better). 

I used the Chapstick like every couple hours. I think my mom used my iPhone more than I did to text everyone. Loved having my pillow. It never once went behind my head I used to hold on my stomach for support. While i slept I kept it over my stomach I also liked my blanket to cover my legs with. I was discharged in less than 24 hours from being taken back for surgery so I didn't take a shower while there, just kept my glasses on, I was sleeping too much to put in contacts. 

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views