Manometry before VSG now surgery type has to change.

Christine S.
on 8/1/14 1:35 am

So, I had posted about a week ago that my Dr was requiring I have a manometry test. It's an up-your-nose-down-your-throat-with-a-rubber hose-test (kidding..it's a probe not a hose. :) ) that measures your swallowing ability. This is apparently because the sleeve causes a higher pressure area and you need to be able to swallow "hard" enough or you could have issues with reflux, gerd and vomiting.

I had the test yesterday (I had it years ago when I had a lapband so I knew what I was in for. The band was a disaster and it was taken out in less than a year...) The results this time showed that I did not "pass" and probably never should have had the band way back when either. I "failed" 3 out of 10 swallows and a 4th the liquid came back up. Soooooo....now Dr Marema would like to change my surgery to bypass instead of the sleeve. I love the doctor and trust him in his judgment but for some reason I am totally freaked out by bypass. It makes no sense since the sleeve would have been removing my stomach while bypass takes nothing out. I guess I have it in my head that bypass has more "issues" than VSG? I supposed I should also be posting this in the bypass forum.. Lol.. Anyway, just having a little issue with plans changing and looking for opinions.

That's all!! Hope everyone is doing well!

Christine

Tracy D.
on 8/1/14 3:46 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I think your doctor was wise to do this test on you.  You could have had VSG and then ended up with lots of problems and complications!  

Yes, it's disappointing that you have to switch to a surgery that you weren't prepared to do, but lots of posters on these boards have RNY and do great!  It's a solid surgery with a history of success - you can be successful with it too 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

SATXVSG
on 8/1/14 3:52 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

A coworker had bypass last year and is doing great.  A little slower on the healing but otherwise, he is doing great now.  I like my sleever, but if my surgeon had recommended the bypass, that is what I would have done.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

J B
on 8/1/14 4:57 am

There are two women in the weight loss group at the clinic where I did my surgery that had the RenY Bipass that are at least a year out from their surgery and they are both extremely happy with the results.  In one woman's case, she says she got the bypass because she wanted a "Bigger bang" for her buck (heh heh...)  But really, it's just a different way of getting to the same result, and is only mildly more complicated in terms of the actual procedure.  You stand to lose more weight this way.

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

MacMadame
on 8/1/14 3:41 pm - Northern, CA

A lot of people have bypass and do great. I know there is a lot of fear around it. Some of that is unreasonable because of older surgeries with similar names that aren't done any more and even the same surgery but done slightly differently a long, long time ago. It's much safer now.

It's true RnY (bypass) has greater risks in general because of the malabsorption and that is probably what is freaking you out, too. But since you have a medical reason that VSG won't work then -- FOR YOU -- VSG actually has greater risks than bypass. In the end, it's all about risks vs. benefit and those are individual based on your own medical history. So for you, if you hadn't had this test and gotten a sleeve, you'd probably be one of those people who ended up getting a THIRD surgery in 2-3 years to revise to bypass anyway because of horrible reflux.

So this way you've saved yourself a surgery! And a lot of pain and anguish.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Christine S.
on 8/2/14 3:50 am

Thanks so much for the replies! You all had great points and things I hadn't considered. Yes - I think I was freaking out about the bypass because it seemed more radical but MacMadame you made a great point and I agree. VSG was not the right surgery for ME. TracyD - I agree he was wise to make me have the test. I didn't want to either but guess it all happens for a reason! :) SATXVSG and JB thanks so much for your input as well!! Now, I'm off to the RNY forum! :) lol

Thanks again

Christine

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 79 views